do you do your fecal tests by yourself?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Aug 22, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    hello,

i had read from fias co farm how to do home fecal tests. i liked the idea , for the following reasons:
    1/ learn new things
    2/ worming when needed
    3/ saving money.

--->do you do fecal tests at all?
    --->do you do fecal tests at home?

thank you in participating. :)

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    There are some here... on TGS... that do there own fecal testing....hopefully they will come on soon.......... and tell you about it.... :wink: :greengrin:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do, and use the information to my advantage when needing to check on a parasite situation, I don't do routine wormings with meds but go by how many eggs each goat may have, all goats have worms....some have a very good natural resistance to them it's when those worms are overloaded that they cause problems. If I see more than 5 or 6 of any worm egg on the slide, I start a wormer dosing 3 times at 10 day intervals, then check a fecal again to be sure the wormer worked. I still have my vet do a fecal in the Fall before breeding season starts so I can use a different wormer if at all necessary

4. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    why you call the vet if you can do it by yourself? :chin:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like the peace of mind having a professional take a look and tell me wether or not I missed a type of worm or my egg count was off.

6. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    does the medicament depend on the type of worms (fecal test)?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The medication used does depend on the type of worm or if the worm/parasite has become resistant to the med used.
    Most intestinal and stomach worms are normally eradicated by Ivermectin based meds, tapeworms are treated with either a Febendazole or Praziquantel, liver flukes are treated with Clorsulon.

8. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    Febendazole:i think it is accessible here
    Praziquantel: is it the active ingredient or commercial brand?
    Clorsulon: same question as above.

9. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    by the way, can the antibiotics of humen like ampiciline and amoxiline be used for animals like goats? (of course we have to calculate the dosage)

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Amoxicillan is an injectible that I had used on a doeling being treated for a cocci infection...she had a high temp with the overload.

Oral antibiotics such as those derived from penicillan are not used in goats, injectibles are in the system much faster and aren't as hard on the gut as an oral med would be.

The praziquantel and clorsulon are active ingredients.

11. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    do you mean the same medicament can be used for both human and animals, right?
    if yes, so i can go to the pharmacy and get injectible amoxilin and ask goats keeper or vet about the dosage needed for goats and treat the goat with it.