The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breeding season is approaching (or already here for some of you)!! Either way, I can't believe it's that time already!! So I have a few questions regarding flushing a doe before breeding.

Have you ever flushed your does before? If so, what were the results? How did you do it?

I'm very interested in flushing my Nigerian Dwarfs to increase the number of kids. Since I have a small herd, I'm completely fine with bottle feeding (when/if necessary). I personally prefer multiples since the kids are (usually) smaller and easier for the doe to deliver. I'm very curious to hear how well flushing actually works and if it's really worth it!

Can't wait to hear your experience (good or bad) with flushing!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Heck no I don’t do that on purpose I get enough multiples as it is lol
A lot of people have attempted it and have not seen a difference. The main thing they seem to have missed though is that flushing will not work on plump ladies. It works best to have a mid body score count or even slightly under, then when you slam them with that extra protein they start gaining weight and will cause them to drop more eggs.
Mine seem to be terrible about it I think because they do loose some conditioning while nursing. And then I pull kids at 4 months old and about a month later they get over the stress of loosing their kids and really focus on eating and putting weight back on. To make matters worse that is also usually when our hay is the best. So I’m just accidentally cursed :p

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Never flushed any of our does. Flushed a mare before but it was an older brood mare I got from another farm where they had rescued her. Nice papered mare. Cultured her and flushed before trying to breed the first time and she caught great being in her 20's.

I personally wouldn't do it with does. Most of the times I always had triplets. One season had 9 does kid within a month of each other. 8 had triplets and one had a single. My husband stopped counting after 25 goats lol.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,842 Posts
I would assume if they are eating what they need to be in the proper body condition, then flushing wouldn't work really overall. Because their body is already optimal. So I just try to keep all mine around a 3.5 body score. Of course, during lactation, they aren't always, but close to breeding time they are picking up again anyway so their body is like "yay food" lol. Especially during the first 60-80 days I try not to let the feed drop, so their body doesn't say oh no, abort some kids. If that makes sense. We bottle a lot of ours so multiples don't bother me, I tend to leave my keepers on mom, so they usually have 1 or 2 on them. We've only had triplets at most here, and I can say it was in the years (last two specifically) that we upped our feed and were keeping them in better condition. Last year we only had 2 singles and they were FF. I'm anxious to see what we have this year. I have 3 that have had trips in the past that I'd assume they probably would this year. One that was a FF with trips last year, her blood numbers came back higher than everyone, could mean nothing though, another that had trips last two years, and another, multiple years. I do have 3-4 FF so I'm hoping at least twins from one and the other two will most likely be singles. I'm happy with twins and trips. Quads or quints scare me a bit for the doe's health.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never flushed any of our does. Flushed a mare before but it was an older brood mare I got from another farm where they had rescued her. Nice papered mare. Cultured her and flushed before trying to breed the first time and she caught great being in her 20's.

I personally wouldn't do it with does. Most of the times I always had triplets. One season had 9 does kid within a month of each other. 8 had triplets and one had a single. My husband stopped counting after 25 goats lol.
Thanks for the information!
I would assume if they are eating what they need to be in the proper body condition, then flushing wouldn't work really overall. Because their body is already optimal. So I just try to keep all mine around a 3.5 body score. Of course, during lactation, they aren't always, but close to breeding time they are picking up again anyway so their body is like "yay food" lol. Especially during the first 60-80 days I try not to let the feed drop, so their body doesn't say oh no, abort some kids. If that makes sense. We bottle a lot of ours so multiples don't bother me, I tend to leave my keepers on mom, so they usually have 1 or 2 on them. We've only had triplets at most here, and I can say it was in the years (last two specifically) that we upped our feed and were keeping them in better condition. Last year we only had 2 singles and they were FF. I'm anxious to see what we have this year. I have 3 that have had trips in the past that I'd assume they probably would this year. One that was a FF with trips last year, her blood numbers came back higher than everyone, could mean nothing though, another that had trips last two years, and another, multiple years. I do have 3-4 FF so I'm hoping at least twins from one and the other two will most likely be singles. I'm happy with twins and trips. Quads or quints scare me a bit for the doe's health.
Thank you!! Can't wait to see your kids!!

Reactions: Jubillee
1 - 7 of 7 Posts