Do you have issues with money?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Like me for instance. I am trying to set money aside (observe, I have low to none income) for both midwifery school (easy--monthly payments) my future Nigerian project (going into air after we move with the help of mother) and then trying to scrape what's left into a neat pile to buy my future dream horse (as I am selling my mare now and buying another after we move). And then I want to show said dream horse and that costs money too. Now I know money doesn't fall off trees (I wish) but :angry: "Why can't I be a money magnet for once in my life?". I know I need a job----and I'll probably get one after I move but . . . . I'm kind of discouraged right now. I added up my list of money 'needs' and came up with the sum that it would take about ten years to accomplish my lifetime goals. Which are: 1. become a midwife. 2. breed and sell mini milk goats. 3. Take my future dream horse (an arab) to the U.S. National Arabian Show. . . and then I'll be satisfied to (someday) be a nice little housewife to some unfortunate someone.
    Okay. I'm done.
    :cool: Anyone else?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh yeah! Haha, I also NEED a job. I have applied several places but need to turn in another application to a friend of mine so she can write a note on it and I will HOPEFULLY get hired! Now, I don't want to work, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And being almost 17 I think it's the right time!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wasnt sure how I was going to afford to buy my dream vehical ... a truck --- how did I accomplish $5,600.00? Baby sitting $4,000.00 and wonderful parents who paid $1,600.00 (they always chip in at least $1,000.00 for each of us to get our own vehical). So don't count out little odd jobs. I saved and saved.

I did semester payments for my schooling too - and I worked through school as well, the only way I could afford it as a 20-22 year old (2 year schooling).

I am now 23 1/2 and setting up a date to work out my future life goals with my parents. I want to purchase a cap for my truck which is $850.00 but I dont know if that is smart. I just put $922.22 into my truck to repair the water pump. :hair:

Believe me having a job really does help, but expenses still come in, you have to deal with odd people that you work with, being out of the house and not able to be with your goats if they decide to kid when you are at work. Its frustrating. It has its perks too, like having your own spending money, And the feeling that you could take care of your self - needs and wants - so it isnt all bad. ;)

OO mom just came in and she said if I stay home from bible study tonight she and daddy will meet with me tonight :cool: I was thinking of staying home from bible study anyway tonight so this is perfect. :clap:

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes, saving is very hard. Both hubby and I work, but neither of us makes a whole lot, and by the end of the month, it's mostly gone.

We're saving up to get our house built and buy a truck and all the other normal stuff. Hard work! But we'll get there. It just takes patience and learning how to say "No" to things you don't NEED.
    (That's hard to do! :oops: )

:thumbup:

5. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    A cap for your truck? A camper shell? I got two free, and you can find them about $50 - especially easy to find if you can get away with the idea of having non matching colors ---

Honey, money I think is an issue for anyone. I've got NO money and we work our backsides off - but we're also building our house, paying for school and bills and we've both been working "legally" since we were 14...both had odd and end jobs since before then. I've worked just about non-stop with the exception of the pregnancy stint and it feels as though we have nothing to show somedays, but we have our vehicles paid for, our animals, our fourwheeler and what is done of the house is paid for...I have an AAS I don't use - but it's being paid for. LOL

One step at a time - keep in mind there are people giving away some NICE registered Arabs around here FREE - now is the time for horses- and never forget the cheapest part of animals is buying them, lol.

We won't ever have millions - but what we have is ours no matter how little and it's perfect for me. Yeah I have pipe dreams - just set realistic dreams and run with it.

A good start is like a "Vacation club" - one that necessarily doesn't roll over or pay out - but if you set up to deposit XXX amt of dollars into an acct and don't have a debit card to it - it will build up and quick and by the time you go to check it (after you get used to not having it) - it's accumulated...

Good luck - keep your head up and never stop dreaming...Idk that it's ever "easy" - but remember for the lot of us, it could usually be worse. Hubby turns 28 this Friday and I just turned 24 in October - we've got a long road ahead, but we keep on trucking...s'all we can do.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Unfortunatly I have a specialty truck :roll: it is a 1997 ford Ranger Splash, flare, stepside When I told the guy that sells them (new and used) he said, oh thats a specialty one, I dont carry those in stock. I said, it doesnt have to be new or even purple (truck is purple) but he said, you probably wont even find it from someone unless they have that exact make and model. :sigh: I am not surprised as it is a specialt truck with a special size bed

7. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hm - a buddy of mine has three Ford Rangers, two being step sides - he had no problems finding shells to fit - sorry.

Are you wanting one to haul things in, to sleep in or to for like..groceries?

Edited: My DH said our friend got a straight box for his - (which is what you have to have??? lol - sry I don't speak Ford ROFLMAO).

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to take goats to shows :greengrin:

So far no one has a truck cap available for my truck bed size. I have been looking. :shrug:

I live near the city so not real truck country :wink:

9. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    lol To haul your goats in or to sleep in? Asking b/c if it's for the goats, I'll show you what DH built for me (got tired of dropping his ginormous toolbox to put the camper shell on).

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    For them to be out of the sun, rain, wind cold etc (for when taking goats to and from breeding)

happy to see contraptions that people have created :D

(maybe start a new thread so we dont keep hijacking Talithas hehe)

11. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    lol - SORRY FOR THREAD STEALING...almost as bad as line jumping huh? LOL Sry :)

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Money...... :drool:

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Runaround, lol. :slapfloor:

14. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sell stuff on Ebay! That's what I do. I pick stuff up at yard sales and auctions all summer long and then sell it. You can make quite a bit of money once you figure out what you're looking for/what people want.

I speacialize in certain antiques and collectables (which takes a lot of learning), but I also know someone who sells baby clothes from yard sales and makes tons of $$.

The best part is, you're not tied down...you can create your own schedule. And if you're going to school and stuff, that can be really helpful...trust me...lol.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What?!! I can dream can't I?!?! :sigh: :cheers: :mecry:

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  17. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Some of my friends said their neighbor sells socks on ebay and makes alot of money . . .go figure.
    I want to browse through ebay and see if I get inspiration. :)

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    What's money?

Seriously though, I need a truck, but I need a better job to afford the truck, but I need the truck to get said job. So very frustrating. My dad's truck is about to kick the bucket and if my friend Chance can't help me haul the goats to the vet I may not be able to sell Heidi or Chase. :hair: (I do have the money for the vet, lol)

This is one of the reasons I've been offering my graphics again. (no one's been biting) :sigh:

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think everyone is tight on money right now. It's sad just how many businesses are closing.

Really depressing.

20. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    extremely depressing.