Do you have mean goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sweetgoats, Jan 13, 2009.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any goats that get mean after they kid?

I have been doing this for 9 years and I have never had a doe that is as mean as Zyla to me.

My DH called me and told me that she had kidded. We asked what they were Bucks or does? He said that there was one doe but she would not let him near the other one. As I try to even touch her or a baby she BITES me. :sigh: I was reaching to the side of her last night to get her grain bowl and she butted me and then bit me. :tears:

She is 4 years old and she has kidded before but never with me.

I just thought it was weird (but I really guess it is pretty normal). All my other does are like. HEY SEE WHY I DID? They are like so proud of them and wants to show them off.

2. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi Lori -

I guess mom's CAN be protective - I obviously don't have any experience with that yet, but I do have one goat, the dominant one, starting to bite at one of the more subordinant ones. They are nice to me but I worry he'll cause damage as he bites at the ear - do they usually do ok? Is that normal or is he especially mean?

:sun:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a couple real meanies - but it wasn't after kidding - it was everyday. So I banded their horns and when any of the big girls act naughty - I grab them by their ears - they hate it.

When one bites, I have no problem slapping them across the nose. They learn real quick that I am at the top of the totem pole not them. Usually by the second bite they have learned their lesson

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't have any "meanies" in my herd. I don't think a meanie would last long here before being sold.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do understand about the pop on the nose if they bite but they are protecting THEIR baby. I do believe I would kill if someone grabbed my baby and was handling it without my ok.

I just thought it was kind of funny. I have never had a goat bite like that.

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's a hard situation. In normal circumstances, a bite earns them a good slap across the nose, and a butt is even worse. But you're right, she's protecting her kids, what to do.

I think I'd try to separate them so you can check out the kids and socialize them once a day or so and give it a week to see if she calms down. If not I think I'd start disciplining, because I know with our dogs, biting to protect their pups was unacceptable, so why should a goat be different.

Good luck!

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    :ROFL: I just realized I misread your post. I thought you were refering to a goat who bit you on a regular basis. If it was just after kidding I would just let her be for a few days and then try and handle the kids again.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    When we kid out at work, they kid down in small paddocks and once the babies are dry we pick them up, walking backwards holding them down at mum-level. This way, the mums follow and we can lead them out of the paddock and into the mothering jugs.

Lol we have a few bought in goats, that one person has to distract the doe while the other person grabs the kids, because they bite so badly. You dont want to get within 5 meters of those does while their kids are tiny. They usually stop it after a day or two.

Of course, there are the other sort that just constantly lick you while they are kidding lol

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have had a few does that were pretty snippy after they kidded. Last year after a doe kidded I was snoozing with one of her kids in my lap in her pen(the kid was a bit cold, I was warming him) so I closed my eyes and pretty soon she backed up and rammed me :ROFL: She wasn't to happy with me, but she's a sweetie the rest of the time. :)

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Never had a goat do that with me. I've been completely bathed during a kidding though. LOL

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ohhh - I've never even thought about that possibility. My goats are all so sweet but I've never had one kid here so ... we'll see. At least I know now that it's possibly 'normal'. :)

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    They're only mean when they know that those aren't their kids though, they're not really mean towards the other does though after kidding.

13. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    YES! I only had one Doe that would do that. She was my Nubian... she had triplets and I helped her clean the babies... no problem everything going great. The next day I go in there to check on them and bend down to pick up a baby and she nips my shirt! I really don't think she was trying to hurt me just mainly trying to tell me to "leave her kids alone". The next day she butted me, but not hard (again I think just to let me know she was there and wasn't happy). After a few days she went back to normal, I think she decided that if I wanted the three little rascals I could have them! :ROFL:

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    :lol: Last year there was a doe kidding and I walked in the barn and she gave me this really worried/happy look like I was there so I sat down by her and for 4 hours strait until she went into hard labor she stood there licking me all over. They get quite funny sometimes before they kid :)

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I've never had a goat that attacked after kidding, but my friend has had two. They were both Boer cross does and I got to see them in action. She chose to sell both of them as she has physical problems and can't deal with goats who could cause her to fall.

16. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    umm...
    NO
    I am queen of my herd
    they can protect their babies all they want but if they start "man handling" me it stops
    NOW
    if you let them get away with it now you will have trouble later
    bambi, my herd queen, will push her baby as far back in the corner under my built in milk stand and stand in front of it so i cant get to it and i respect her for that
    for a couple of days
    well, i make sure the baby is healthy and give it a shot of nutriDrench and dip its navel
    then i leave them alone for a couple of days but i check in to make sure all is well and staying that way
    after a couple of days i gently push her aside and check things out and she doesn't like it but she deals with it
    would you allow a dog to bite just because she has babies?
    no
    ppl think dogs are so much more dangerous
    and they prolly are
    however
    my DH has a scar on his arm where a goat bit him while he was trimming her hoof
    that's why we have a stantion now so they can't reach around and bite him

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    if the does at work cant keep predators away from their babies ... they get their heads chopped off.

Which is why I dont mind when some of them defend their babies. The work goats are kidded in paddocks and we have foxes. If they lose their kids to predators they are no use to us.

18. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    but they need to realize that you are not a predator
    twinkle will let me handle her babies all i want without any problem
    but if my daughter's jack russle comes into the pasture she will run him down even if he is on the other side of the pasture
    they can distinguish between friend and foe

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Never had that happen, now my girls will protect their babies and believe me, I've been in the line of fire with my dog but they've never treated me as they would a predator.

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never had a mom be mean towards me after kidding. I had one doe that was mean to her kids the first time she freshened. She had two little does in the pasture without me while i was attending to another doe in labor. I had gone to put my doe that had kidded the day before in the pasture and found cally with two kids. They were clean abd somewaht dry. So i brought them up to the barn, had them in the stall with me while my other doe was in labor. Cally kept calling to them and they would go to her and then i heard screaming
    jumped up and cally had one kid by the ear and was holding her slmost completly off the ground. She kept biting them. After that i never let her have her kids. She always cleaned them fine but i took them shortly after. But i know she raised her own kids on her own just fine this year with her new owner. So who knows.
    I also had a doe that was mean to people she didnt know. I got her as a yearling. and she would rear up and butt anyone who she didnt know...breaking this habbit was hard. and she still will tilt her head every now and again. She was never taught as a young goat this wasnt ok. So she gets a firm slap on the nose when she does it.
    beth