The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 experienced boer mommas. Last year we had 3 sets of twins and 1 single. Yesterday started kidding for us with a bang. 1 set of twins and two sets of triplets. All the kids are healthy and up and eating. The triplet moms are healthy, and have good udders. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a heavy milker 17.5 on DHIR at peak. She had triplets and I let her raise them since she is tested yearly and is disease free. Just ensure with Triplets that she is getting extra calories daily to keep up with the demand of the triplets. This can be challenging to maintain.

I feed totally Organic feed (soy free) but because I couldn't keep up with caloric intake due to her being a heavy milker and having triplets at her side I ended up supplementing Organic Soy Bean meal because it is uber high in protein. She then started putting on some weight and was able to maintain the demands.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree. Watch your does, give them what they need, and keep assessing as you go forward.

Protein tubs could really help you, if you are willing to use them.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I added in calf manna to my does diet to help her maintain condition while she's feeding our trips. It's a balancing act to keep her in good condition. I re-evaluate every few days and adjust as needed. Congrats on your new additions.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I understand your concern, in my experience with my doe that had triplets, wasthat she raised them fine. I don't milk mine, and she produces great milk. I feel like if they go into breeding healthy, maintain during pregnancy, then they shouldn't need alot of "supplements". Just make sure she has plenty of clean water, and adequate feed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts