Do You Prefer Horned or De-horned Goats?

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Rex, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Horned

18.4%
  2. De-Horned

44.8%
  3. Both

27.6%
  4. Neither, I don't like goats

9.2%
  1. snubbie

snubbie Member

God gave them horns so they have a purpose. I don't have to understand what all that purpose entails. So I left them on my three wethers.

Well, I also think they look regal and cool, AND...

I believe it will give people(strangers) pause before they approach my goats. I think those big horns are a bit unnerving to the inexperienced and people aren't as quick to approach and start touching and messing. Here in NC packgoats are about nonexistent so when I hike I get LOTS of attention. I have no trouble on the trails with people asking questions, taking pictures etc. but I prefer people not assume it's okay for them to walk up and start touching, petting, or otherwise without first asking. My guys aren't quite 1 yo yet and their horns can look a little intimidating. I don't mind strangers being a little apprehensive and keeping their distance.

I drill into my daughter's head over and over, "keep your face away from the horns". She has been poked a time or two, as have I (Not in the face).
    You just have to respect the horns and learn to avoid them.

Frankly, if a goat determines to hurt you or head butts you, I believe it matters little whether he has horns or not. He can split your skull, break your arm or leg, or badly bruise your hip or other areas, regardless whether he has horns or not.
    An aggressive goat will not be tolerated even a little. His attitude will be corrected or else he is going to be "weeded out". Horns have nothing to do with that.

So my point is, the tip of the horn is the greatest threat and yes, there is a danger of simple accidents happening. But I believe they can mostly be avoided with experience. Around inexperienced kids or others? I'll probably stick a tennis ball or something over the tips if any other children interact with them.

2. kmarar

kmarar Kenna Marar

I agree with snubbie. As a 4Her in Michigan I am appalled that kids are being taught they should only be handling dehorned or disbud goats. You aren't even allowed to compete unless they are hornless which is ridiculous. Why are we teaching kids that we should only handle animals once they have been mutilated.

3. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I have both. Im apprehensive to disbudd again , but most likely will , but i don't want to hold for it. I don't even want to be there.
    One of my yearling does has horns and I'm thinking about rehoming her. Im not liking the way she can and will intimidate the others when she wants to. They sure know they have horns and a edge up on the others. Somedays I'm positive she is leaving and other days not so much. But i do know i don't want any other does with horns right now.
    If i had a bigger place i would keep the horned ones together away from the disbudded ones. I feel safer that way. I have a wether with horns and he's the most docile thing and never a problem. The doe with horns is the herd leaders daughter , wether that has anything to do with her growing "I'm the boss" attitude or its just that she knows she has horns and can intimidate the others , or that she always hangs with her mom and learns from her , idk. But it was a learning experience for sure.
    I have a couple bucklings with horns right now as well.

4. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

I know this is an older post and I would like to add my 2 cents. I have never liked the looks of horned goats. They look devilish...with horns and goat-tees. I have hornless for that reason.
    I understand there are precautions with dealing with horned goats and one must respect the horns...which I do.
    When my goats were kids, they loved to chase one another and they loved to run up the little hill and play. One day I was below them on the hill pulling weeds while they were playing. One of them jump up and lost his footing. He tumble down and next thing I knew, he head met my head. He was fine and I was too...after I got over the pain. I was so glad he didn't have his horns. I love my goats and love hugging them. They are my pets. I would be so bad about watching their horns. It is for my own safety that they don't have horns...never mind young kids!
    I know it is all personal preference. There is not right or wrong answers.

5. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    remember that this is a post on goat packing. packing a goat is a unique use of a goat and many times we have different needs. most pack goats are horned with the belief that the horns help the goat control its heat when we are packing. horned pack goats also have an advantage when we run in to a dog on the trail.
    we goat packers also have to balance the needs of our goats on the trail and the problems that come up with horned goats when the goats are home.

every ones situation is different on the home front so the horned or not discussion goes on.
    in short there is no correct answer for every one. so the decision you make on horns for your pack goat string is the correct one.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thank you for this statement, fivemoremiles. :hi5:

Some members will only read the title and not the original OP's statement of which it is for "Pack goats horned or not".

It is a real old post too.

I know the subject can bring a lot of different opinions of all kinds. So don't let it go :eek:ff topic: Please, lets keep this on topic, for "pack goats horns or none horns", this is not for all goats. ;-)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    this post is very old. originally it was posted on a forum dedicated to packing goats a few years ago the forum merged with the goat spot forum.
    I miss the old forum because goat packers are few and far between. there was a comradery that I don't find here.
    that said this forum is great. I have learned lots from it

Thanks to all the moderators

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Sooo, you haven't found the new packers site yet?

9. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    No I have not found it. I have not looked for one though
    I will be looking now

Found IT

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  10. snubbie

snubbie Member

Wow. Don't even know how to respond to that. "Devilish"? Personally, I think they look like goats with horns. The way their Creator designed them. But that's just me.

Horned/dehorned...its a personal choice. My guys are young pack goats and as stated above, I feel the horns serve a useful purpose. They are getting quite impressive as they approach 2 years old.

11. MCHLMRTN

MCHLMRTN New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Personally...I'd have gone for the goats having shock collars rather than myself. But maybe she doesnt wamt you around her goats anymore. Lol.

12. crazydazy55

crazydazy55 New Member

Dec 19, 2014
    For pack or working goats it is recommended to use horned goats because goats regulate their body temperature by running blood through their horns to cool off. If you are going on a difficult hike with goats not having horns could make it harder for them.

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

In my experience, waddles do much more to keep goats cool than horns do.
    I also find that my disbudded goats are welcome many more places than horned goats are...