Do you put collars on your goats? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by DaGoatandPugLady, Aug 17, 2019.

1. DaGoatandPugLady

DaGoatandPugLady Active Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    The obvious con is strangulation. Why do people use collars, would like to hear the pro. My husband wants to put them on our goats but I don’t think it’s necessary and might hurt them. Thanks!

2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I keep collars on my goats and sheep to tether them. We have a leash law for all animals unless fenced, and I take mine out to forage. I cannot control 12 goats and sheep at once, so I tether them.
    I also tether to feed individually, so no bullying.

ReNat and DaGoatandPugLady like this.

3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Mine have nylon collars to help with training show goats, controlling and moving, too be able to tether when needed, because 1 is really stubborn still, and to id them.

DaGoatandPugLady likes this.
  4. DaGoatandPugLady

DaGoatandPugLady Active Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hi Dwarf Dad,
    Thank you! What kind of collar do you use on them? Do you tether them to a fence when you take them out to forage?

That’s smart about the individual feeds to prevent bullying!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I have regular dog collars on them, nylon. Some of the collars are the plastic latch type and some are buckle type.
    I drive t-posts into the ground, or https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/eh-i-thought-you-said-boat-anchor.207929/#post-2291183

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I keep a dog collar on my milkers to catch them to take to the milk room. they are break away collars so if they do get caught they will break off

7. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    I use a collars, for goats, it is convenient for me to control a single goat during milking, and even for the bell, as my goats graze freely and I hear when they choose the wrong direction following in the direction of my neighbor's site.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    All my goats have collars with name tags. (Cow ear tags zip ties to the collars). Tags state name, kidding date, dam and birthdate. (By the time the next year rolls around, the tags are a little worn, so, when they kid, new tags.).

I have a small fortune tied up in collars! (150+) There have been a time or 2 someone got a collar caught, but nothing happened. My goats do not get to be outside in a pasture, so, for me, collars are pretty safe.

DaGoatandPugLady and Dwarf Dad like this.
  9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I HAD collars on my goats for 10 years. What I used was a strip of leather then attached the two ends with a ear tag. It was flimsy enough that if one did get snagged the goats weight would break it. What I never imagined could (and did happen) was getting snagged on a little dead limb on the ground and my doe calmly going around and around until it slowly got tighter and killed her. Even though that was pretty much a freak accident I took all my collars off.
    The collars were nice having to just reach out and grab a collar instead of them seeing a rope and bolting, and the ear tags were nice for when someone would tell me #32 did blah blah blah and I knew Xena is 32. Now I get that red goat, which I have 5 of, or that black goat which I have probably close to 10 of. But we are all surviving just fine without them now.

HMNS, Noahsoak, camooweal and 4 others like this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don’t put collars on mine because I have only 2, that think they are lap dogs. A close breeder friend of mine likes the plastic chain link breakaway collars, and keeps them on the goats once they are big enough that she thinks they will be able to be strong enough to break them if need be.

HMNS and DaGoatandPugLady like this.
  11. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
  12. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

I have a collar no Russ, put them on the kids when I am training them, Letty (my milk girl) has a halter, (keeps her head more still as I milk her, I dont use a head lock, just a tether on the stand) Diesel's neck is bigger than all my collars so he wheres a halter two...Diesel is the only one I dont leave it on all the time

Attached Files:

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I guess it's like everything with goats, what works for one wouldn't for another. Unfortunately, I have to keep mine collared for identification purposes, but if they were pastured, I'd have to come up with a safer way. (Sometimes I wish I could freeze brand them like they do with cattle.)

14. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I wouldn’t bash anyone if they chose to have collars on no matter the reason. That was not at all what I was getting at with sharing that ;)
    My mom and I were actually just talking about freeze branding! And I honestly don’t see why it couldn’t be done. They also freeze brand horses and their skin isn’t any thicker then a goats, I’ve never actually skinned a horse or anything but it sure seems like it is actually thinner. But I’m thinking that no one has actually done it not that there is any reason not to do it. I just don’t think it would work out on my traditional boers. But I just thought that was funny you brought that up after we literally just got done talking about it lol

15. Iggy

Iggy Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Oregon
    Personally I only use collars on them to transport my goats. For the first few weeks of milking I lead my girls to the milking stand, but after that I just let them out one at a time, they'll run all the way up the hill and jump onto the stand and start eating their grain.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. steeplechaser

steeplechaser Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I have a collar (just rope) with a bell on one of them. Helps me find them in the brush.

17. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    We use collars on all our goats, it's just so much easier to catch them with a collar. We also leash train them so if we need to take them somewhere it's just so much easier than having to grab by the horns and drag them. So far we've luckily never experienced any issues with them getting snagged somewhere by the collar and I pray we never have that happen. We have more problems with them losing their collars. We buy the goat collars from Jeffers. They're cheap and work well. pink for the girls & blue for the boys. Makes it easy to tell them apart. https://www.jefferspet.com/products/kid-goat-collar-colors-pink-fushion

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    No collars here. We used to but a few accidents had me removing them. Once had a doeling get her leg caught in moms collar...other time one of my horned goats got her horn stuck on another collar ( most likely from rubbing on her) and in a panic twisted so tight she almost killed the doe. Both times I was in the barn. Scares me to think if I wasn't. My goats are all trained to be led with one hand under the chin. In a pinch I have a collar I can put on to lead one. Even my Big Bucks lead gentle with just a lead rope

HMNS likes this.
  19. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I have collars on mine. I use the plastic latch type and hope it will pop loose if it has to. My Nellie lost hers recently so maybe they do? I use them in case one gets out. There are quite a few goats in my area and I want my babies returned to the right home. It also helps a lot if one is being uncooperative about medication, etc.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  20. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I have Lamacha goats and keeping collars on them is next to impossible. so i use my Border Collies to move them.

HMNS, Dwarf Dad and Goats Rock like this.