The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am milking my Nigerian does and we love the sweet milk, but it is VERY creamy. Is there a certain way to thin it? We've just been adding a little water.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is really delicious, but we like to make it go a little further :) I've been waiting for my other does milk to taste good. She is nursing her 6 week old doeling, and the milk has tasted a little off. I'll try it again on Friday. Finger crossed

·
Registered
899 Posts
I used another farm's milk to raise my bottle babies this year. They have Golden Guernseys and the milk was a bit too rich for some of the babies so I thinned it with water. I guess it would be a bit difficult to separate cream out from goat's milk since it is more homogenized than cow's.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy a Saanen and mix the milk. :D
I love our minis, but I am toying with the idea of a full size milk doe and crossing her with a boer buck. I'd love more milk and we have a huge meat market here with no one to supply goats meat.

Do saanens produce a lot, and would it be a good blend with the ND milk? I was thinking Nubian or alpine, but I don't know anything about the larger breeds

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I don't "thin" milk but will skim it and save the cream in the freezer for making butter.
Saanen's have the lowest butter fat of all dairy breeds, and they also are capacious milkers, if you mix the higher butterfat milk with the lower one, it may make a happy medium of the 2 :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes Saanens have the highest average of dairy goats.
Saanen
2545 lbs milk, 3.2% fat, and 2.8% protein

This is a 305 day lactation. And that comes out to 318 gallons a lactation, which is a tad bit over 1 gallon a day. That is not as much as they could be, or the ones that I have seen. The ones that I have known, have been 2 gallon a day milkers, which comes out to 610 gallons in 305 days.

My alpines milk 2 gallons a day, each, some milk more.

Nubians, aside from Nigerian Dwarves have the lowest production. Alpines (according to the 2010 testing) come in 2nd to the Saanens for milk production.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I love our minis, but I am toying with the idea of a full size milk doe and crossing her with a boer buck. I'd love more milk and we have a huge meat market here with no one to supply goats meat.

Do saanens produce a lot, and would it be a good blend with the ND milk? I was thinking Nubian or alpine, but I don't know anything about the larger breeds
I just saw this post. I just know Saanens produce a lot of milk with very low butterfat. I am only milking 1 Nubian right now, and I love her creamy milk. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts