Do you think I can quit milking her now?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've been drying off my six year old Nubian as she is due (???) to kid sometime the end of March or later. (She was run with a buck before I got her.)

I've been using FiascoFarms technique of drying off. She was only giving me about 2 to 3 cups morning and night when I got her (about 2 months ago?). I am on the second week of every other day milking only in the morning. This morning she barely gave me a full cup. She didn't let down easily either. Do you think I can just stop now or should I continue with milking her less and less often for another week or two?
  2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would say it is probably ok to quit now...but it has been years sinse we have had dairies and I'm not 100% sure

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would say that you could totally stop - and then if she seems real uncomfortable in 3-5 days you can strip her - but she should be fine!!!
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'd say stop milking her, if she appears to be filling up again milk her in about a week but don't milk her out all the way.
  5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    you can stop milking her now. when i dry mine off i milk every other day,once a day for a week to two weeks then i just stop. she may bag up some at first but then she will start6 to reabsorb her milk. you might want to cut back on her grain at this time. if her udder gets hard & hot then take just a little out. as long as you are still milking she will continue to produce