Do you think...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SterlingAcres, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    it would be alright to feed the goats the remainder of the rabbit food I have? I've got about 12lbs of it here and I'd rather not waste it... but I don't want to hurt the goats either. Here's a list of the ingredients... is it safe?

Please and thanks :grouphug:

[​IMG]

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I don't see anything horrid -- but maybe theothers have an opinion

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I have done it before. Most rabbit foods are made of alfalfa mostly. ;)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't see anything in the ingredients that would hurt....just do it sparingly to avoid the runs.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Okay, thanks :)

Next question: Do I feed it as a replacement for grain or just as an extra? I would think an extra, but I don't want to hurt anyone. Better safe than sorry.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would just give it as an extra treat, but don't overdue it. Do you grain your does everyday? If you do, then just cut back a little on the regular amount and substitute the rabbit pellets for the lost grain. ;)

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I give them all a bit in the morning and evening because their pen has no real browse in it. I've been bringing them in branches and such, but the 4 of them are plowing threw 1 bale of hay a week. Not sure if that's normal, but they're wasting a ton too. I think I'll mix the rabbit food in with the grain in the morning. That way it's dispersed and hopefully no one gets the runs.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    1 bale a week?? you are lucky then, I go thru 1 bale a DAY for 9!

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

1 bale a day!? What am I doing wrong...or right? I go through 1 bale every two days with 2 horses and 9 goats. The chickens get a flake to play with and pick through for seeds every few days too.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i give my goats rabbit food with their pellets and grain in the last month of pregnancy or if someone is needing a boost

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Wow! A bale a day??? Mine actually stole the hay from "storage", so they used 2 bales this past week and a half. Maybe mine are super picky? lol

12. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

wow I go through 4 bales a day between the goats and 3 horses

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    good lord!!! i go through a bale a week with 2 standards and 6 minis

14. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

PHF - How many goats are you feeding?

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I go through 3 bales a week with 6 does in the winter -- less then that in the summer

16. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

pennnylullabelle- TOO many!

:)

They also get a bunch of beet pulp twice a day to stetch the hay a little bit (and of course their grain twice a day)

But really Im probably feeding 35 or so right now

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I typically feed about 3/4 a bale of hay daily to my goats. My herd isn't very big though.

18. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    A bale a day in the winter, slightly less some days. The little they do waste-I know a :shocked: goes into the hay waste bin for bedding.

19. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Our little bottle baby turns her nose up at sweet feed and grain but she loves chicken crumble. Tried to keep her out of it, but it became a Sisyphean endeavor. I started hoping it doesn't bother her instead. The chickens get annoyed at having another mouth to feed, and it doesn't even lay eggs.

Lucky goats have a pretty hardy digestive system.

I go through a bale a day with 15 adults and 5 little ones, plus a bucket of sweet feed. When it warms up and the weeds start sprouting I'll cut them back to a half-bale a day. I can tell they're getting about the right amount when they're laying around chewing cud and there's still hay on the ground.

20. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I have 2 Boer moms and 2 kids right now, I go threw about a bale a week with little waste. They get a section in the morning and section at night along with a little grain. This summer they will be cut back once they get a pen in the field.