The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I trim them...Only to get them used to it. I don't really trim them just take a few places. By doing this, once they get older, they are so well-mannered on the stand.
Same here, I will trim off any hoof wall that grows, there is usually a tiny little bit. But I make a big production of it putting them on the stand and the whole 9 yards. I use the hoof file on them too. It is all really a training thing. But there is usually some hoof on there to take off.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Only if they need it. It really depends on what you call a baby. I'd check about 2 months and see how they look. If they have any hoof wall then trim it. I like the idea of getting used to it young though!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I trim every 2 weeks starting at 6 weeks old. I have dairy breeds and they have a lot of rocks and thing to wear their hooves down, but they still grow extremely fast. My boers seem to have fast growing hooves too.

I also do their first bath & clip at 8 weeks old (provided that the weather is warm). I shave them down to 1/2 inch or 1/3 inch depending on how big they are, how hot the weather is, and if I want it short or longer.

I start lead training them at 8 weeks.

By the time I'm done with them, they are so well trained people are amazed how well they behave, how friendly they are, and you can touch them anywhere and they won't move.

It helps so much, because when they are older, you can still handle them with ease.
I also handle the doelings udder area so they aren't stompy on the stand as milkers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts