Do your does do this....?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bheila, May 15, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Pepper has a little more then a month to go before she kids. I started noticing a few days ago that she's been cleaning her teats a lot. Another thing she's been doing is tucking her butt under for a few seconds and then pushing her butt out like she's stretching her back. Do your does do this when their pregnant? She hasn't started loosing her plug or anything yet.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    her udder is probably growing causing her to itch at it. I have had does do this closer to kidding then not but I am sure it can happen at anytime they are feeling uncomfortable.

The artching and stretching out is normal - again I usualy see it closer to kidding but if she is uncomfortable it could be her just trying to get things more situated inside or some practice "fake" contractions.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With the stretching ......the kids may be pushing on her...and making her uncomfortable ...so she is trying to move them a little... :wink:

Cleaning the teats....is she licking at them or biting(chewing)? If she is biting.. it could be lice.....

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    No lice. She pulls the teats through her lips like she's cleaning them then licks them. She still has her wax plugs so I know she's not chewing or sucking them.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I saw Angel scratching her udder yesterday, how can they reach when they are so chubby?! And yes, the stretching is normal too. Good luck!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad she still has her wax plugs......that is good.....if she didn't and you had a self sucker then that ...would be a problem......it seems that... she is fine ..... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    huh, thats interesting, I've only seen the teat thing when they are actually giving birth.

the stretching thing I've also only seen closer to the birth, usually within a few days before they kid, they do it to position the kids properly

I had one doe who would lay down and push, always scared the crap outta me thinkin okay she's kidding, but she was just positioning the kids! Couple days later she'd have em

8. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I've not seen any of mine that can actually reach their udders very well that close to kidding, but most of mine have been FF too. I've seen the stretching quite a bit...

9. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    She is simply following the guidelines of the Code of Honor...confusion, :? deception :shades: ...I'd say she's doing a great job!