The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought of this, because my goats to stuff that I find weird, odd or make me laugh, and I am very sure this happens to all of you too!
So, this is the game:
You tell us one weird/odd/funny thing your goat(s) does, then the next person says yes or no, if their goats have done this. Then that person tells us an odd thing etc.
I will start.

When my male goats pee, they always make a meditative face.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
Yes.
My 7 year old mini Saanen doe puffs up when she sees me..hackles up and twist a bit like she's challenging me..but just melts in my hands when I start to love on her

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
No, my goats aren't allowed to puff up at me.

My first goat, Cuzco, loved to "smoke". Whenever we built a campfire he would put his face right over the smoke with his eyes half closed and inhale deeply. Then he would pee (goats have a pee reaction when they get smoke in their face for some reason). But after he ran out pee, Cuzco would still stand there inhaling the smoke and sometimes curling his upper lip up just a bit and smacking his tongue in and out.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No (about the “fake challenge”)
No (my goats have not taken up smoking, mostly because thye haven’t had a chance)

When my goats dither about eating a treat or other tidbit, and then decide to go for it, they eat with a lot of nodding.
Do your goats do this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
No (about the “fake challenge”)
No (my goats have not taken up smoking, mostly because thye haven’t had a chance)

When my goats dither about eating a treat or other tidbit, and then decide to go for it, they eat with a lot of nodding.
Do your goats do this?
Yes my goats do this.

My one doe does this silly thing, we have a weird patch of weeds in the pasture that has a weird smell to it and every time they graze in that area she lays her front half of her body on the ground and uses her back legs to push herself around like she has a very itchy neck, but she only does it this weird patch of weeds, it looks hilarious 🤣
None of my other goats do this , but then again my other goats aren’t as weird as her, but I still love her to death no matter how weird or silly she gets

·
Registered
729 Posts
No, no licking goats here. (Oh! That may be my new barn sign. "NO LICKING GOATS")

I tether my goats at feeding time. I often give them treats (banana slice, bread) when I unclip them. One doe will sniff the treat and pointedly look at her bowl. She will wait until I put the treat in her bowl, then eat it. She will not take it out of my hand. Once unclipped, however, she will greedily take treats out of my hand. She has been doing this, consistently, for months.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My one goat is a grunter/sigher - sometimes it sounds like she's sighing at me for bothering her or grunting at me for making her do something - is there a difference?!. She's walking along and grunts. I'm brushing her and she'll grunt or sigh. She gets up or down and she'll grunt or sigh. She's 3 years old going on 30! I was worried at first, but nothing else is going on with her, she just makes noises. Sometimes I think I start grunting along with her!!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
Yes, on the happy dances, they love whole salted peanuts with a passion. (Yep, he moans and mmmhhs like he is singing with each gobble and crunch) It's like a goat version of a broadway musical.

My lead wether feel in love/lust with a yearling deer during deer rut season. She was beside the fence flirting and wagging her tail all over the place to entice his affections. Except, when I entered the gate carrying their breakfast bowls and a bucket of water, he bolted the gate for the first time ever to go be with her. Water spilled all over me and their breakfast also landed on the ground. He ran wide open to follow her and the rest of the deer herd. After fastening the gate and asking him if "he had lost his foolish mind", grabbed a lead to bring him back home as I followed behind. Sad to say, he didn't clear the high tensile hot wire to the cow pasture next door and the shock knocked him to his knees. He came running back home faster than he left and grumbled at me because the gate was shut and he couldn't get back into the lot. Has anyone else ever had a wether get stupid over smelling heat cycles in a female?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, on the happy dances, they love whole salted peanuts with a passion. (Yep, he moans and mmmhhs like he is singing with each gobble and crunch) It's like a goat version of a broadway musical.

My lead wether feel in love/lust with a yearling deer during deer rut season. She was beside the fence flirting and wagging her tail all over the place to entice his affections. Except, when I entered the gate carrying their breakfast bowls and a bucket of water, he bolted the gate for the first time ever to go be with her. Water spilled all over me and their breakfast also landed on the ground. He ran wide open to follow her and the rest of the deer herd. After fastening the gate and asking him if "he had lost his foolish mind", grabbed a lead to bring him back home as I followed behind. Sad to say, he didn't clear the high tensile hot wire to the cow pasture next door and the shock knocked him to his knees. He came running back home faster than he left and grumbled at me because the gate was shut and he couldn't get back into the lot. Has anyone else ever had a wether get stupid over smelling heat cycles in a female?
That is one crazy story! Even just the fact that the deer doe flirted with him!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
That is one crazy story! Even just the fact that the deer doe flirted with him!
The deer herd here is not fearful of me and lots of times they will be hanging around the goat lot while I'm doing the chores totally unconcerned with my presence. They had became accustomed to seeing me outside even before I had goats, and I can now get really close to them since the goats starting living here with me. For the past two years, (and once so far this year) there will be fawns left lying beside the fence or close by, whether they are in the lot or out browsing in the field. The goats watch after the fawns like doting uncles, and will go trotting to the fence line and talk to the fawns if they happen to get up or move around. Go and greet the doe mama when she comes to gather up her kid(s) also. Once, a fawn was being naughty and not staying put where the doe left it, was wandering around all over the place. The lead goat started alarm calling to the mama doe and she came running to tend to the wayward fawn. She had the fawn to bed back down next to the fence and had a talk with the goats.... the fawn stayed put until she came back while the goats watched it for her like a hawk. I think the deer and goats are friends. The only concern I had when the lead goat bolted after the deer herd and his newly discovered lady love was Scar, the buck deer, hurting Partner for chasing after his females. It's unexplainable the way they (and I guess myself also) interact together and might be special circumstances. I feel privileged to be a part of whatever this human, goat, and deer relationship would be called.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes my goats do this.

My one doe does this silly thing, we have a weird patch of weeds in the pasture that has a weird smell to it and every time they graze in that area she lays her front half of her body on the ground and uses her back legs to push herself around like she has a very itchy neck, but she only does it this weird patch of weeds, it looks hilarious 🤣
None of my other goats do this , but then again my other goats aren’t as weird as her, but I still love her to death no matter how weird or silly she gets
My goat does this. But she does that on me when I'm sitting in the field. Maybe it's their way of showing their adoration for a person, place or thing ! Or she's telling me I have a weird smell lol :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts