The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so...why and how much?

If not...why?

I do give my wethers grain(with ac) but only 1/8c per day...they are 23-24in tall, 50-60lbs....

My in-laws have a little ND wether that is so tiny-he is only 15in tall and I know cant weigh more than 15-20lb he is about 5months old...and he is having a problem with UC they think...he as an appt with a vet Wed. I have never seen a goat this small(but I havent seen alot of goats either)

The vet they are taking him to told them "little" goats should NEVER be given any grain at all...this goat they have is that a normal size for some goats?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I feed my non show does all in the one trough so the wethers,2 of them,get a mouthful then shoved off by the older bigger does,they also get hay,teejae

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
All my goats get a little grain, including my wether. I do a 70/30 oats/sweetfeed mixture. My doe in milk gets 3 cups a day, the other two I toss a handful to split amongst all three maybe 3 times a day.

I don't do anything specifically for my wether, though I'm going to start AC.

·
1,524 Posts
Mt 2 LM wethers are growing, so they get about 1 pound of grain twice a day.They will get more as they grow, since they are going to freezer camp this fall. They are also still on Mom, and will be until they leave in October.

I make sure they have a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 3:1 and have never had a case of UC in any of my male goats.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Yes, my boys work and they need a little more carbs then normal.
Bean gets 1/2 lb. of rolled oats daily.
Jeter gets 2 lbs. of sugar and starch controlled horse food daily (he has few good teeth left).
Onyx gets 1 lb. of oat/barley/beet pulp mix daily, he's harder to weight on and still growing.
Silver shares 1 lb. of mix with his sister daily.
They all get as much alfalfa pellets as they can clean up daily and good orchard grass hay, minerals, and kelp.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yes, my wethers get 'grain'. Actually it is a 14% meat grower pellet, and they get it 1-2 lbs/day. I raise meat goats for slaughter and it grows them out faster and bigger than hay alone.

As for your in-laws goat - I'm sorry, but I cannot help you with that. I have no experience with ND goats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses...I love reading how others feed and manage their goats and why. With wethers, well goats in general it all seems to be just whatever the owner has figured out works best for their animals...sure wish they came with little instruction manuals :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do. I have a doe and a wether that house together and every morning I give them a bowl with two cups of grain for them to share. I don't think it hurts or helps him so who cares!(;

·
Registered
635 Posts
If so...why and how much?

If not...why?

I do give my wethers grain(with ac) but only 1/8c per day...they are 23-24in tall, 50-60lbs....

My in-laws have a little ND wether that is so tiny-he is only 15in tall and I know cant weigh more than 15-20lb he is about 5months old...and he is having a problem with UC they think...he as an appt with a vet Wed. I have never seen a goat this small(but I havent seen alot of goats either)

The vet they are taking him to told them "little" goats should NEVER be given any grain at all...this goat they have is that a normal size for some goats?
No grain. Ever. It's asking for trouble.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I learned the hard way why you shouldnt give bucks or wethers grain. I fed my buck a little grain each day( while still giving acv) and he got urinary calculi and I was unable to save him :( vet said it was probably the grain. after that whole experience my bucks and wethers now get beet pulp with sunflower seeds and ground flax seeds instead of grain. I started doing this about a year ago after feeding grain to them for years And they are doing wonderful on it! They also get fresh browse daily along with good quality grass hay, acv in their water and free choice minerals. In the winter and breeding season they get a little alfalfa as they need the extra calories and protein.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ours get goats showmaker ap witch has AC. They also get 1 - 2 flakes alfalfa each, there berry billy block and free choice minerals. Ours r very spoiled.... They each have their own pens and their own shelters aswell.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I do not give my wethers grain, I had a hard experience in which I sold wethers as pets and the well-meaning owners (despite my advice) gave them free-choice grain. That, plus hay that they didn't like, and within three weeks time both boys got UC. One had surgery, the other was euthanized. I am not posting this angrily, this is just my reason that I steer WAYYYYY clear of it.

My wethers, when little, get 1/4 a cup of alfalfa pellets daily. It helps keep their Cal/Phos ratio in check. They get free choice minerals with ammonium chloride and kelp. My bucks are fed the same diet. As they grow, I adjust the amounts accordingly. None of my wethers or bucks thus far have had any issues growing big and strong. It's also important to their health that they get plenty of grass hay. :)

I have Nigerian Dwarves.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
We had wethers for a little while and had them on a tiny bit of grain to make them feel like they got something like the girls..

My bucks get grain.. I feed Dumor Goat Pellets 1/4 cup to both for now.. I talked with my vet on it and she agreed with this

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I currently have 1 wether housed with 3 dry does... none get grain at this time of year, they have free choice minerals, hay in the morning with free choice pasture and a handful of crushed alfalfa/timothy cubes in the after noon.
Bucks start getting a grain ration once they head into rut as it seems that they would rather romance the does than eat the hay and pasture provided.

I do have Nigerians and Nigerian/Pygmy crosses, and the 5 month old wether who is that size definately seems stunted to me... he could have had a case of coccidia or was not provided adequate nutrition from day one... or even is just genetically small.
My current kid here is 4 1/2 months old, with her dam through the day, gets a minimum of 1 1/2 cups 18% a day plus browse and am hay and she is at 37lbs, I haven't gotten her height yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They get free choice minerals with ammonium chloride and kelp.
We have loose mineral out free choice and it has ammonium chloride in it...I have read on here that kelp has alot of nutritional value for goats and they love it.

Do you know the Ca:p ratio on it...I have looked on hoeggers and jeffers and even googled it and I cant find anything. Thanks so much!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts