The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I hope this finds everyone well!

We get our alfalfa from a local farmer a few miles away. Last bail we started was full of this orange colored odd foliage. Sent a picture to our rancher friends and it came back Dodder. Aka Devils hair. It’s an aggressive “weed” that latches on to alfalfa and other foliage. Reminds me of how a morning glory wraps itself around a stock. Not wanting to throw this out for the deer and have an aggressive pest infest my property.....can the goats eat it? Or not? If not......how careful do I have to be on the rest of the alfalfa (trailer load) I just bought? Sorry. Just true to upload a picture...but to new and not allowed yet. ☺ Thank you to all that might know this answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello
I hope this finds everyone well!

We get our alfalfa from a local farmer a few miles away. Last bail we started was full of this orange colored odd foliage. Sent a picture to our rancher friends and it came back Dodder. Aka Devils hair. It’s an aggressive “weed” that latches on to alfalfa and other foliage. Reminds me of how a morning glory wraps itself around a stock. Not wanting to throw this out for the deer and have an aggressive pest infest my property.....can the goats eat it? Or not? If not......how careful do I have to be on the rest of the alfalfa (trailer load) I just bought? Sorry. Just true to upload a picture...but to new and not allowed yet. ☺ Thank you to all that might know this answer.

That not so close pictures...it looks like hair cut trimmings. But it is actually wrapped around the stock in close up

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
For some reason, the pictures aren’t showing up for me. And from what I could find, you’re right. It’s related to the morning glory. I couldn’t find a whole lot on it. I did find a paper on weed research and it reported that on rare occasions there was toxicity from dodder to cattle and horses, but none reported for goats or sheep. This is the link.

I think I found dodder on page 13 or so. I believe it’s safe but I’d call my vet before I feed. Even if your vet isn’t sure, he/she will likely know who to contact for an answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might want to contact your local county extension agent as well and see what they recommend.

How about now. JML Farms? Writing this. Is see Gallery=etc. in preview. I can see the pictures. Did you try refreshing? I had to log off then back on. Maybe I am loading them wrong? One would think. Preview would be what everyone else sees

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.