The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a weird one. I've got two pregnant does, one who is 105 days into her second pregnancy, and one who is a first freshener at 82 days. The first freshener is probably carrying triplets (we can see two on ultrasound for sure, vet thinks she is hiding another one up front).

I have been routinely touching the young one's udder to get her used to the whole idea of milking, and two nights ago I noticed one of her teats was folded up and stuck/matted to the udder itself. We feared it was tangled in her hair. However we got her up on the milk stand to check her out and it appears both her teats have sticky dried fluid around them. The udder hair was kind of matted because of the dried leak and the teat had become adhered to the udder, as though it were glued. We washed her with a warm wet cloth to free the teat and get the dried goo off. Then I partially trimmed her udder hair, just for a precaution. However, this morning I went ahead and had a feel and the dried goo is back and the teat is partially adhered again. So it seems like this is happening overnight while she's laying down.

She is wicked healthy, happy, hungry, no vaginal discharge, excreting normally, social, and not in apparent distress. Her udder isn't filling yet, as it's so early. We have no idea what's up. Is this mysterious leakage something that happens sometimes or should we call the vet?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree..I would watch close for her self nursing. Its a hard habit to break as once they start...ugh.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree..I would watch close for her self nursing. Its a hard habit to break as once they start...ugh.
Oh noooo! I suppose this is possible, although we have never observed her or any of the other goats attempting this. Since I suspect it's happening at night it may be time to install a camera in their house. This is quite worrisome. I understand that if she's self nursing I'll have to use the sealing teat dip... Ugh.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
There is a collar you can make which allows her to eat and such but not reach her udder. But like with anything we put on our goats..must watch they don't get tangled up and such. There is teat tape but that doesn't always stay on. I think the safest way is a bra of sorts. But with wet weather it would been to be water proof in the outer side.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would try teat tape to start with. If she or someone else is removing it, you will know for sure.
Yes, I'm looking up teat tape now. The first freshener (Maria) is a nibbler, so I'm a little bit pessimistic about it staying on for long. If she's really sucking, we might have to resort to the goat bra...

(Do they really suck sometimes even when there is no milk in there? She has definitely never lactated yet, and her orifice plugs are still visible.)

·
8,161 Posts
Paper medical tape works well. (Walmart in the bandaid aisle). When you do tape, make sure there is a tiny corner folded back on itself so you can remove it without too much trouble! And if you wrap it around the teat, don't be super tight so it cuts off circulation.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
When you do tape, make sure there is a tiny corner folded back on itself so you can remove it without too much trouble!
I found it also makes it easier for the goat to remove. I used a band aid over the teat and then paper tape around the ends of the band aid. I had to NOT fold it over to stay on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts