doe acting like a buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by toth boer goats, Nov 24, 2008.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how many of you, have had a doe that acts like a buck. Flickering the tongue in the other does faces, making little sounds and riding the other does as a buck does before bred. :doh: ? But gets preggo every time, she is bred with a buck? What is up with that? :shrug: :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep! starburst does that alot, and she's preg! i though she was in heat, nope -but she does have a liking to zephyr... :wink:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Its just a dominance thing. She is either high up in rank and reminding the others, or trying to get a bit higher up.

Charlotte tends to do that when I let her off the chain in the showring, but she doesnt do it at home.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that makes sense, because i bought her like 3 weeks ago, so she must be trying to get higher. thanks keren

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have one that was doing that last night - it was AWEFUL!!! I couldn't believe she was doing that!! i swore a buck got loose in the doe pen somehow until i came around the corner and it was her!

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You can often notice it alot around feeding time if you feed with communal troughs as opposed to individually feeding them. They will have a few mouthfuls, then woop woop woop like a buck and blubber at whoever is next to them. I'm bigger than you, its my food.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Xcell got wicked bucky when she was in her last month of pregnancy. So weird. I just figured it was all the hormones.

Spice is mounting everyone lately so I figure she is just being dominant.

The weird things goats do. :slapfloor:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow, I am so glad :) I am not the only one, with a weird doe, LOL :ROFL: The dominance thing, does make since, thanks Keren. :) :thumbup:

:ROFL: :ROFL:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    There is one other case where a doe can act like a buck and that is when they have cystic ovaries. They have short cycles and irregular heats, and failure to concieve. Obviously not the case with any of your bucks because they are obviously breeders.

I've seen normally not bucky does get bucky when another one is kidding and they lick and smell the fluids.

Ah, goats, gotta love em!

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...I have a doe that does that ever so often, even when she's bred. Silly goats!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, they are very goofy. :)
    Can't figure them out sometimes :doh:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    heck - bucky girls and gay boys - what more does one need in their life - LOL! :ROFL:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup i had a doe that did that every year. Patti even when so far as to put her nose under her belly and arch her back like a buck does when he pees on his face. then she would do the flehman thing.
    She continued to do this every month up until she had her kids then would act like a normal doe.
    beth

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are all to much..LOL :ROFL: :ROFL:

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Yep, we had some does act like bucks especially when they were in raging heat!

16. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I had a funny about this yesterday. I had some friends over and they knew I had borrowed a yearling buck, knew he was white. Well we were looking at the goats and my mini la mancha doe was onto of my borrowed buck riding him... she was trying to breed him lol. Shes not doubt in heat. I was like oook.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a wether that is I think 8 or so - that has walked around with his tongue out for the last 10 days.... a doe who was riding anything and everything ..... and a buckling that screamed like a girl when I put him in with the boys and away from his "girls". LOL!

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

19. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Kadabra does the tongue flapping and riding on anyone else that comes in heat, even though she's supposed to be preg. And Cameron, poor thing... after he bred Ophelia and I put him back in with the other boys, he cried and cried, too... not wanting to go back into the buck pen. Can't much blame him though! The other boys wouldn't leave him alone either... I assumed it was because he smelled like the girls!

Angie

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is a great teaser doe for ya, if she lets you know when everyone is in. :)
    It is very strange though, like she should of been born a buck, LOL :shades:

Cameron, I feel sorry for him to, my other bucks of the past, have done that to. It is because of the doe odor, so they swear that there is a doe in with them and chase them and the buck being chased, screams and yells, as if being attacked. You feel sorry for them. :shocked: but it does simmer down after a while. :help: