The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread I started in kidding coral. happy bleats and Liz were instrumental in saving my doe from pneumonia. Thank you!!
The reason I moved the title here is because 1. Temp is 102.5 this am! Yay! And 2. I have a question that is related.
This doe always been on the thin side and has dry flakey skin, which I give her BOSS and coat supplements, goat chow alfalfa pellets, minerals and all the hay she wants. after she had her triplets keeping plenty f milk for them really pulled her down. She lost quite a bit of weight even though she held it pretty well with her appetite, but her hair started falling out and her skin started flaking horribly. I put a coat conditioner on her for a few days which helped tremendously but the weather turned so hot that she started panting significantly. It took me a couple of days to realize that this coat conditioner with mineral oil could be overheating her so I stopped. A couple of days after that she got sick which we now presume was pneumonia. Could the oil i put on her and her getting overheated have caused the pneumonia?
Also, now that hopefully the pneumonia is under control I'm turning back to the significant skin issue, when I brush her I could fill up a cup ever day with what looks like coconut flakes.
Thanks all! This site is full of great people and information.

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
Have you tried putting wheat germ oil on her feed? I use Rex Brand Wheat Germ Oil. Put it daily on her feed. Should see results within 6 weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Omega fatty acids, E, B 12, niacin, biotin and lecithin.

Any suggestions for anything topical for faster relief that will allow her to sweat and not over heat?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I think it's more likely that the pneumonia was the result of our strange spring weather. I had a baby get sick, recovered well. I used to have Cashmere goats and they shed out so bad each year they looked nearly naked for awhile! But, it was temporary and their new coat was lovely.

I would check her for the little "creepy crawlers" that can cause skin issues. We had our first case of lice...yuk! Injected Ivermectin, and now everyone is louse free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts