The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 dwarves and the seller wasnt sure if they had been bred before I got them a couple months ago. He asked me to take care of 2 of his does for a while (and then I could get milk out of them) a month ago. My girls chased them around for the first week or so, then slacked off. Now, my girls are chasing them NON-STOP!! Could they be preggo, and this be a side effect? They do seem a bit plumper, and I know they arent bloated or just fat. New to this and confused!!:ponder:

·
Registered
30,157 Posts
I would think they are in heat more than pregnant..if they came at the end of their cycle a month ago and now their cycle is back could be why they are more persistent....if you have a way to separate them might be better.since they are just visiting there is no reason to force unity : )

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am having a problem too. I have a doe and her 8 month old doe kid. I have recently bought a buck, and his wether companion (both are quite young) and I also bought a 3 year old doe and her twin 8 mth old doe kids. I knew there would be some time integrating them, but this new doe is so MEAN. She has a bit more weight to her than my doe, but she bashes up the other kid too. I have been keeping them separate, but really cant do that forever. how long does it take to have the heirachy sorted out, and the fighting to settle down. I was thinking of running the 2 does together, and the 3 doelings together in another run. I thought they were happier in a herd, but I dont want any to get injured.

·
Registered
30,157 Posts
we usually to a fence meet and greet...they share a fence and bicker back and forth a while ..after a week I bring them together with supervision....as long as one is not hurting the other I allow the fighting ...but if it gets real aggressive then I pull them back to their pens for another few days, they will get past it...when introducing smaller goats I am especially watchful..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts