Doe always panting

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, May 21, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Sadie is ALWAYS panting. She lays in the shade a lot, but she is still relatively young, at 3 years old. I plan on shearing her sometime soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I got her in December, and she would still pant on the warmer days of winter. The times when she mostly pants is when her Buddy gets far from her, and she is calling for her to come over, when I herd them back in the pen after grazing, when she plays/fights, and sometimes, I think she does it for no reason... I have another doe that I have had since birth, and she has panted since she was a baby, but never this much, only when she is playing/fighting on a hot day.

It is supposed to rain all week, so I don't think I will be able to get her sheared, but as soon as I can, I will, because she has a pretty thick coat. She is having a bit of a hard time shedding it because I bought her copper deficient, and I am slowly trying to get her up. But I do think she will appreciate a good clipping.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure her heart is fine?

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Goats sweat by panting. If they have fresh water all the time, that might help with the panting. (It's necessary wether it's hot out or not). Is she overweight? Have you had her checked for parasites?

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    That is what I am worried about... Should I listen to it with a stethoscope? How many BPM is normal?

She always has fresh water available.
    Her ribs and spine are easy to feel but has a fat belly/active rumen.
    She got a fecal about 2 weeks ago. everybody is negative, and their next one is Monday.
    Her FAMACHA stays very red all the time. :)

here she is, I got her sheared today.

IMG_0063.jpg

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

What you need to listen for is a regular heartbeat or heart murmur.

Sfgwife and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i will have a new vet out in the morning to get kids disbudded, so I will have him check it out :)

toth boer goats and Sfgwife like this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I hope she is ok. Maybe she just pants! She is a pretty doe.

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Wow that is very unusual. Are the two panting does related?

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    No. One is my mini Nubian Cheerio, who was born here in 2018 and doesn't pant nearly as much as Sadie, but I am never alarmed when she does because it goes away fairly quickly.

Sadie is a nigi I bought at the end of 2019. I don't think I would be comfortable bringing her to shows if she does have a murmer... I don't think she could handle the stress very well. She traveled 45 minutes home when I bought her, but that was also in December, and it was probably 50 degrees outside.

If she does have one, how would she handle a pregnancy? She has kidded twice before, but never with me.

Thank you!! I am super excited about her!

Should I ask the previous owner about her? Maybe she was a Premie and I didn't know? They can usually have heart conditions I think...

Thank you guys so much! I am really nervous about the vet visit tomorrow!

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    No heart murmer! Yaay! So, should I get her to lose weight?

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She looks to be in excellent condition. I wouldn't change a thing. ;)

With our up and down temps, season changes are hard on us and them. We get hot when it begins in the 70's 80's, which is not that hot.
    But it feels like it is 100 degree's.
    We all have to adjust to it.

Same with goats and if they have a coat on, can you imagine how hot it would be, if we had a coat on too.

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah, it is starting to almost hit 100 degrees here, so I would imagine!! I was just worried, because she is a bit smaller than my other full blood nigis,and small ones seen to have Heart problems

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How do you post a video? I am sitting out here with them on a 85 degree cloudy day with a cool breeze, and she is panting in the shade... it is very odd to me

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am sitting out here with them on a 85 degree cloudy day with a cool breeze, and she is panting in the shade... it is very odd to me

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    *she is watching a trailer come down the driveway in the video. That is the sound in the background too

16. ksalvagno

Do you put out electrolyte water for them? I would offer both plain water and electrolyte water. I buy the cherry flavored horse electrolyte. I offer it whenever the temp is over 80.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

She is taking it harder than the others with the heat.
    You can put a fan out for her during the heat of the day.
    And maybe take a wet rag and wipe her face and body down with it.

Keep an eye on her though, it can turn into pneumonia.
    If she stops eating and doesn't act right get a temp.

Make sure she is drinking.

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I can start freezing gallon jugs and putting them out there for her to rub on

19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I saw a big ol' thing of Gatorade powder at Walmart. Could I do that? or should it be for animals?

20. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    But you said she panted all winter too? Like in what temperatures? Seems really odd. The veterinarian had no suggestions?