Doe and Whether with scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Oct 15, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My husband bought a pair of whethers from a breeder that we've bought most of our goats from. He brought them home probably 8 or 9 days ago? He butchered one Friday evening. A couple of days ago the other whether developed scours. It's really dark, looks black, not totally runny, it has some texture to it.
    I've been treating him with pepto. I wonder if this could be stress related to losing his buddy?
    My husband was letting him have grain! So yesterday I made sure he didn't get any.
    It's the same grain he's had his entire life.

Today I noticed dried diarrhea on one of my does rear ends. It's dry so doesn't look like she's had any more, but it had to have come up over night as she looked fine yesterday. They are both acting just fine, no change in their attitudes or energy - the doe is just as sneaky and pushy as she usually is...heh...
    We've been gradually weaning the doe's buckling off of her, and as of the past several days the only time the doe is around her buckling is when we turn them out in the woods to browse, which is probably 2 hours - goat kids go into a stall together at night.

Think this could be a stomach bug, or stress related? Everyone else looks and acts just fine.

No temp yet, but that is the next step. I had to put all the meds/etc. in the house with the weather changing.

Also---- the doe was bred about 2 weeks ago.

When I go back out to do temps I'll give more pepto.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    with that color... I'd say treat for Cocci.... to be positive I'd have a fecal ran.... for both worms and cocci....yes stress can trigger both of these.....

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont konw what the meat withdrawl time is on the coccidia medications but be sure to check that if you treat for coccidia.

The other thought is worms since you mentioned seeing worms.

how much pepto are you giving? you can give quite a bit. I give 6-10 ccs to a nigerian kid when the runs are real bad.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks. I have been giving about 12-14cc of pepto to the whether, but I haven't given anything to the doe yet as I didn't see any fresh signs of diarrhea. I'm getting ready to go check on them again.

I want to worm everyone this evening to get that possibility taken care of.

BTW, with the goat kid having worms, can you use 2 wormers at the same time --- safeguard and ivermectin? we'll double check eye lids but last we checked the girls were all fine. If we find someone looking pale, could be use safeguard daily, and then ivermectin then ivermectin again in 7 days? I don't want to hurt them, but I want to get rid of any worms they might be carrying.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have used two different wormers on two different days I cant see how two wormers at the same time would hurt -- never done it though

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Stacey. I think we'll do safeguard for the next several days, then switch and do ivermectin, and then wait 5-7 days and give a 2nd dose.
    My husband is going to check eyelids as soon as he brings the goats back in from the woods.