Doe as horse companion?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mnspinner, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a 2 yr old ND doe for sale and drew interest from someone who would like a buddy for her small gelding. I've never placed a goat in this situation and don't know what to do. Would she be happy without another goat?

2. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    How small is the "small gelding", are we talking mini horse sized or just a smaller full sized horse?

I have horses. i have goats. In the past I had horses and goats together. I do not keep my horses and goats together now.

For a while I had a Shetland pony and a Pygmy goat together. The goat chewed the tail off of the pony but otherwise they didn't seem the least bit interested in each other. i DO know some goats that bonded well with a horse and vice versa. But in my personal experience they don't get the same needs met as they do by being with their own kind. It would be kind of like being an Englishman trapped on a desert island with someone who only spoke Swahili. It's much better than being completely alone but not as good as being there with someone who speaks your own language.

Another concern is size and that is why I asked if this small gelding was a mini or not. I have my mini's out with my cob. He is fat and stupid and slow and has huge feet (and I LOVE him that way!!), otherwise I would not keep my minis out with a full sized horse. Even if they get along, horses can and will play hard. They kick and bite each other in play and a big horse can hurt a little one without even trying. The same goes for a goat. I wouldn't have an issue putting a goat out with a mini, but anything bigger than that I would hesitate or be prepared to accept it if an accident happened.

IMO, and this is not hard and fast because like I said I have seen it work, but just IMO the best companion for a horse is another horse and the best companion for a goat is another goat. I would not personally sell a ND to be a companion to a horse unless it was a small miniature horse and we did a trial period first to be sure they got along and could be HAPPY with just each other as company. If it were a Boer or larger goat I might consider it for bigger horses but would still want to do a trial period and if the horse or the goat seemed miserable I would not finalize the deal.

3. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I know people who have show horses and race horses that do that all the time. It depends on the horse though - I know of one person who's horse killed the goat. But I also know of horses and goats being just fine together - both being happy to have each other. Keeping in mind this is not a horse but a cow - a friend of mine had her GCH (yes GCH) loose her foot due to the cow stepping on it - goat lived, just could not be shown any more (lovely do too).

Someone told me a story once about how they had a goat for the horse and when they would go trail riding the goat ALWAYS went with them as the horse was the goat's buddy. So they had their dog and their goat following along lols

It just depends on the horse and the goat. I feel it is a gamble and cannot tell you yes or no.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup some goats and horses bond really well others dont do so good. I personaly suggest to people that if they want to get a companion goat for their horse they get two goats so the goats are bonded and have each other if you take the horse out but the goats give the horse companionship. Whats one more goat once you already have a horse and a goat right? It makes for happier animals all around.

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I think having more than one goat in with a horse is better. This way the goat will have a companion and so will the horse. I have three goats in with a mini donkey until I can find him a girlfriend ...they all get along donkey chases them for fun and they all get exercise.

6. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I agree - I wouldn't hesitate if this person had another goat. I'll feel her out on it and see if she might be interested in adding a wether too.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I go to the racetrack's barn area all the time during the racing season, and see pygmy goats and pot bellied pigs from time to time that are used as companions.

There is a small farm about 1/4 of a mile up from us that has riding ponies/small horses used for riding lessons for kids, and I've seen some goats out in the corral with the ponies before.