Doe bagging up

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatmama, Jul 29, 2010.

1. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Has anyone ever seen a doe partially bag up and not be bred? I bred my doe in November 2009, she was suppose to kid in early April 2010, but did not. She has never kidded before and had no sign of a bag before, but since my other doe kidded, I noticed Lilly's teats had elongated, then I looked and she had this little bag. It is not full, but it seems odd that she would do that. Could she be sympathizing with one of my other does who did kid? She does not have any pain. I felt the bag and it seems okay, no heat, redness or anything like that. It doesn't bother her that I feel it. Just thought I'd pass this by the group.
    Thanks

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    It is fairly common due to seasonal hormone changes. Just check so often to be sure she doesn't actually have milk. If she does, you'll need to milk her out to prevent mastitis.

3. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Most of our girls do that. It's pretty common in heavy milking lines. The advice above it good. Watch it and if it gets tight you'll want to milk her out. I would also make sure she isn't getting any concentrates or grain.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have a doe that started making milk a couple months ago. She is up to 19 ounces a day now. I am milking her once a day. The first stuff was not milk, it was a bit salty. It's definitely milk now. She is much too fat, so I am encouraging this in hopes she will lose a little weight before I have to breed her in the fall. don't know if it's working, we got her weighed this week finally, so I'll be able to tell if she is losing anything. She is three and has kidded twice. I gather this is more common in youngsters, but this was the first year she wasn't bred. It can result in mastitis if you don't watch and keep her emptied.

Jan

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like... a precocious udder which is not uncommon.... a doe may start making milk ...without being bred.... :hug: