The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old boer doe that barely eats her grain and is getting skinny. She is the lowest on the totem pole so i figured shed eat quick. Iv tried pellets and two different kinds of sweet feed and she really barely eats. She picks thru and lightly nibbles on it. Would are your suggestions?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
has she been wormed? does she have a temperature? how is she acting other than the not eating?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes shes been wormed and she acts perfectly fine and eats her hay. Buti have even tried skipping breakfast until like 2 pm and she still isnt very interested

·
Registered
31,505 Posts
maybe put her in a pen area for feeding time to allow her to eat as slow as she wants without being bothered by other goats..?? Or feed in several places setting her far from everyone?? Maybe adda bitof beet pulp to her portion..
ALso as nchen7 said : have a fecal done to be sure worms are not an issue..

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
my doe picks through her alfalfa pellets for the oats, until there's competition, then she'll eat it quickly. I've read too some goats like to eat by themselves, while others like the competition. maybe she'll be more comfortable eating away from others?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iv tried feeding her seperatly and about an hour later she eats everything but the pellets in the sweet feed

·
Registered
31,505 Posts
lo...sounds like a picky eater, andyou have tried every trick in the book : )
...You can try a bit of calf manna and beet pulp with a sprinkle of BOSS and see if she will eat that...goats tend to like the three : )

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with HappyBleats......I had a doe that was somewhat picky as well (actually still is) and I was feeding a sweet feed which she just wasn't "loving"....I changed it to oats, BOSS, Calf Manna, Beet pulp, and alfalfa pellets. She "LOVES" her food now. She will sometimes pick everything out and leave the alfalfa pellets but I know she's eating some so I haven't been too worried. You could try some B complex shots or Probiotics....that might help get her more interested. :D

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
I had to change over to a new feed. I did do it slowly but when it was fully changed over to the new feed, the goats were turning up their nose. I keep Rex Brand Wheat Germ Oil on hand when I have flaky skin issues so I just put some of that on it. They are eating it just fine now. They love the taste of the wheat germ oil.

·
Registered
31,505 Posts
They love the taste of the wheat germ oil.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
She is the lowest on the totem pole so i figured shed eat quick.
Or not eat at all. I have a doe like this. What I started doing was 'running interference' for her - so to speak - until I can come up with a better solution. I scatter the pellets as far as possible, then go stand by a feeder and call her. She comes to me, I stand by her and keep the more dominant girls from bunting/running her away from the feeder for 10 minutes or so. She was raised by herself, and when I got her I discovered she doesn't really know how to stand up for herself. She is still timid, but she is building some self-confidence and learning how to deal with most of the other girls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts