Doe bleeding from vulva

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chloe1233, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Chloe1233

Chloe1233 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I just went out to milk and my 6yr old ND dwarf doe is showing signs of being in heat and is bleeding from her vulva. She was due to come into heat any day now but I don’t understand why the blood is there.
    She was last in heat 10/5/20 but to my knowledge wasn’t bred. She was supposed to be bred to my buck that just passed away last week but he wouldn’t breed her. I did have my older buck jump the fence 2 days prior to her coming into heat but when I found him he was no where near her and there was no discharge on her tail or vulva.
    The only thing that has changed was I brought my older buck and put him with my other buck who’s recovering from anemia and pneumonia. They are staying in what use to be my kidding pen which is located in my doe barn. D8B4A2EA-F37B-4DA8-A575-FCBED4240538.jpeg

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm thinking one of the bucks was successful but she is aborting. Im sorry..there is nothing you can do to stop it but supportive care. B complex and keep watch.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Agreed, unless you see a cut or injury somewhere.

4. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I looked and couldn’t find any cuts. Would it be random for her to abort right as she should be coming into heat? And is it normal for a doe to bleed that much at only 3 weeks bred?
    She is still acting like she is in heat and is staying right next to the pen the bucks are in but neither are showing any interest in her. If she is aborting when should I start watching for her to come into heat again?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree that seems like alot of blood for 3 weeks in..unless there is a chance she bred earlier.? Goats can be so sneaky. Aborting can bring on raging heat cycle. I would let her rest at least 6 weeks before breeding again or at least skip one heat cycle not including how she acts right now

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Blood happens with aborting, sometimes, it is just a little and other times it can be more. Depends ion the doe.

I would at least skip her next heat cycle or so and not breed her then.
    She needs time to clean out and to be able to watch for any infection.

7. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    Update:
    This doe has not come into heat again since this incident on 10/28. She has started gaining a lot weight, especially on the right side of her abdomen. Her diet hasn’t changed and she is only on free choice Coastal Bermuda hay. I went ahead and ran a pregnancy test 12/4 and it was negative. The blood sample had been lost in mail for 2 weeks though. This doe is known to carry kids in both uterine horns, so I thought she might of possibly only aborted kids from 1/2 of the horns. I went ahead and placed her with a buck 12/4. She is still with him but since day one neither has showed interest in each other and there are no signs that she has came into heat or bred.

Dee4 and MadHouse like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hopefully she is pregnant.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    Should I do an ultrasound on her? She would be about 12 weeks along if the buck bred her on 10/5. I thought about doing another pregnancy test in case the first one was a false negative, but with mail taking so long to deliver I’m hesitant to send bloodwork off.

MadHouse and bisonviewfarm like this.
  10. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    One other possibility is a cloudburst pregnancy. I had a doe test positive then delivered nothing but fluid she'd aborted but her body continued on like she was pregnant. No heats and she even had a small udder at the end. Id test her I haven't noticed the mail being that slow I just mailed in blood it actually got there 2 days earlier than it was suppose to.

Chloe1233, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ultrasound a little later will tell you or pregnancy test.

Chloe1233, MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  12. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I took her to the vet for an ultrasound today and she is bred. The vet thinks she was bred on 10/5 since the kid he saw was very developed so I guess the pregnancy test was a false negative. The kid was healthy so I’m not sure what May have caused the bleeding on 10/28

13. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Congratulations on her being bred! They must have done it when you weren’t looking. I hope all goes well!

Chloe1233 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  14. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    It could have been a fibroid busting as the kid grow right?

15. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well its sounds like you are getting a wee one. Thats wonderful. With all the crazy things goats do...I am so thrilled you are getting great results!

Chloe1233 and MadHouse like this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  17. Yay!! Congrats on the baby. Glad she is pregnant and nothing else was going on. Hopefully the baby arrives with no issues. Will you be able to tell if she was bred by the buck that you lost? Is that the likely scenario, or was it the other buck?

18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Well this has been a crazy pregnancy for sure. Congratulations. I hope it’s a beautiful little doe from the buck you lost and she’s the jewel of your herd. I can’t wait to see pictures after a textbook smooth kidding.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.