The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I have a 6 year old kiko cross doe who kidded about 14 days ago. She had a single buckling, no trouble during delivery. We gave her the recommended doses of goat's prefer calcium drench. She was acting well and normal after the birth. She started to go off feed about 2 days after kidding, we began giving her power punch and a couple shots of b12 complex. No improvement noted and we took her to the vet at 1 week post delivery. She was weak, a bit staggery and bad diarrhea. Our vet ran blood work on her and found an extremely low phosphorous level. She gave us 2 doses of injectable phosphorus and excenel for a low grade fever. At 8 days post delivery her eyes began to swell and she went blind with fully dilated pupils. Her pupils were dilated at kidding but progressed to fully dilated with no reaction to lights shined in her eyes. I returned to the vet and got 2 doses of inject able steroids and she recommended a double dose of b12 for 4 days. We are halfway through the 4 days and havn't seen any improvement, she is still stone blind. She has returned to normal appetite and fecal texture.
So!! Sorry for the wall of text but I am stumped on this one. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?
P. S. I live in Alabama, USA zone 8b

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! She eats bermuda hay, a goat protein and mineral block, and our feed mix (goat sweet feed, scratch, alfalfa pellets, and beet pellets)
She isn't showing any other symptoms besides being blind

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Since her eyes were dilated at kidding (or before kidding) I would lean more towards pregnancy toxemia. Did the vet happen to check her thiamine levels with the blood work they ran? Some animals can have unusual reactions to medication. I had a cat once that would got blind any time you tried to give an anti inflammatory or pain medication. It blew the vets away every time they tried to change up his medication and he would just go blind again temporarily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think she did, she was just recommending the b complex because she couldn't think of anything else to try

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I am not sure, I can contact my vet in the morning and see if I can get a copy to share with you all. She said it was a blood "panel"
There is alot of different "panels" they can select on the blood work options like a chem panel or cbc. You could ask them tomorrow and see. You could always test her urine using the store bought ketone test strips if anyone you know has any.

Maybe some of the others will have other ideas. Most cases it would make me think pregnancy toxemia or a thiamine deficiency. But there could be some underlying neurological issues too. Does you vet specialize in goats ? Sometimes you will get things that can stump even the best vets.

That was the only symptom she has remaining correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I will get a copy and get back with you. Yes, she is back to normal except being blind and so pretty jumpy and scared.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
I think I would get her on at least a 5 days round of dexamethsone 1 cc per 20 pounds reducing a little each day so not to stop abruptly. So if she gets 6 cc day one, do 5 cc day two and so forth. Give IM.
I would also do straight thiamine..500 mg every 6 hours on a 24 hour clock
For tonight do the b complex if that all you have, enough to get 500 mg thiamine in her every 6 hours. So if your b complex has 100 mg thiamine..give her 5 cc sub q is fine.
Giving her 30 cc of a carrot and celery juice can boost her calcium. For energy, 60 cc of a 50/50 mix of molasses and water.these address both ketosis and hypocalcemia. Niether will hurt if not needed.
EDIT:
re reading your post, Im thinking she possibly has Polio and the b complex and steroid was addressing this. I would continue the treatment as I laid out here. Blindness can take time to recover from. I had a buck do this some years back. Sight was last to recover from.
Keep up with the 500 mg thiamine until she is 100% recovered for a full 24 hours then ween her off thiamine. Start with every 6 hours...once recovered for 24 hours..go to every 8 hours, then every 12 hours, then once a day. this helps prevent a relapse.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
Steroid can help reduce swelling in the brain as well in cases of polio or listeriosis as well as Menengeal worm (deer worm) which maybe why you saw some improvement in her. Continuing that along with thiamine as mentioned can help her recover fully.

Best wishes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts