The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I noticed my doe was breathing very fast while lying down. I listened to her lungs and they seemed normal compared to my other does. She has no runny nose. I checked her temp and it was 103.8... so a little high. She also acted slightly uncomfortable while laying down and got up to rearrange herself and moaned a little bit. It was a warm day(52F) compared to what we've had. Lows in the single digits and this was the first day above freezing. She just kidded on Valentine's Day and since her pregnancy was very unplanned we had to make a makeshift pen in our unheated greenhouse so they'd be out of the weather at night and the babies could have a heat lamp on them. This morning she seems normal. Up and eating and her temp is 102.5. I haven't noticed any heavy breathing but I only saw her breathing fast when she was lying down. Could it be pneumonia or just a too warm winter day for her thick winter fur?

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
I would monitor her temp.
If it is normal and her lungs sound normal, it may not be pneumonia.
If she just had kids, she may be sore.
Make sure she gets alfalfa and check her ketones in case.

How is her inner lower eyelid coloring?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
A 4 would be very pale..maybe you mean a 2? It's easy to get them backward.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
To check ketones grab ketone strips at any pharmacy and catch her peeing and run a strip under the stream of pee. Then test the strip color to the chart on its bottle.

Also assess for bloat. Cold weather often has them laying around more for some which can cause slight bloating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts