Doe breeding four times in two weeks?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    One of my does, Snowflake, has very happily bred four times in two weeks.

What's going on? :scratch:

Is it normal for does to breed SO much? I know about a five day heat, Hope had one and Snowflake of course had...er... three?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she might not be ovulating so isnt settling after the breeding happens. I would keep an eye on her and if she keeps coming into heat then you may want to do a blood test to see if she just like being bred even though she is settled (this can happen to)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmmm. That is odd that she would stand for Buckly so often, she has settled and kidded previously right? I would think theres a possible hormone imbalance going on if she is in standing heat every 5 days :scratch:

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes, she has kidded before, in January 2008; she had Uno, the goat in my avatar.

I'm concerned about her, after all, she hasn't kidded since then despite 24/7 exposure to bucks before I got her, and now she's standing for Buckly so often. It seems to be heat cycles, with tail flagging, bleating, and swollen vulva.

I will probably send in a blood test next month or so. If she doesn't kid, she has to go. I can't have non-producers sticking around. It's a real shame too, because I really like the way she looks and I wanted a doe or two out of her.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I sent you a PM. :wink:

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Got it and replied, thanks! :greengrin:

She hasn't had a heat cycle again just yet. So maybe we're done there. Hopefully!

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Maybe she is going cystic? Hopefully not but that is reversible, I think.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I sure hope not. :(

She still hasn't had another heat cycle, so maybe she has settled.

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I hope she settled!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had two buck get out and go all over two girls, my daughter said make the calender, be we will have to see which buck go which doe because they were both all over both girls. OK I marked the calender. Well last Friday they both were rubbing on the fence and just teasing the boys, so I held them and hand bred both of them to the buck I wanted them to be bred to. So I have tow date down, I will see which one it was.
    They both stood for the boys both times. They were rubbing on the boys also.

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I have the first two dates down for Snowflake. After that I sort of just threw my hands up in the air!

:ROFL:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: I do know the feeling....they can be ..so sneaky.... :doh: