Doe chronic bloat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mnspinner, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a 6 yr old doe who this morning bloated up (not the emergency bloat but she balloons up on both sides) for the 3rd time in a row. It started in November and these episodes have occured around every 3 weeks. They last 2 days where she doesn't eat/chew cud and the 3rd day recovers. Now this goat generally will have maybe 2 incidences of this a year. But until now never this frequent.
    She is on a cup of the same grain she's always had, with some alflafa pellets added, orchard grass hay, Sweetlix minerals, baking soda. She's in good weight, regularly wormed, membranes good color.
    I have given her some veg. oil, Probios and B complex.
    But obviously I'd like to eliminate this problem, especially since she's now 2 months pregnant.
    Any ideas of cause (allergy maybe??) and anything else I can do to prevent/treat? Thanks.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I see you have the baking soda out, but with her bloating I'd also be makings some balls of that and trying to get quite a bit of it down her.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I see Sweetlix minerals in there, some goats bloat on mollasses...in which, probably has it in it.
    I use loose salt and minerals for cattle and put free choice baking soda out for them...I do not use the sweetlix....try to take the sweetlix out ,,, and try the loose salts and minerals for cattle instead.... :)

how much grain of each do you feed and what kinds?

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with toth. A lot of goats bloat on too much mollasses. Which sweetlix has quite a bit of. They use it as a binder. I know a lot of people say their animals will only eat mineral and grain with mollasses in it. But i found that mine jump right into things just as eagerly without it. You may want to try something like purina goat mineral instead. What kind of grain do you feed her?
    beth

5. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I didn't realize that about molasses in the minerals. But you might have something about it in the feed. The last two bags of grain I got did have more molasses in it. Generally this mix - I get a grain mixed at my feed store - 16% that usually has a low amount of molasses. And I haven't been feeding Sweetlix for all that long. But everyone seems to be doing well on it. I didn't like Purina because of its sky high salt content.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've never had an issue with purina minerals.. and the goats love it

i have had issues with sweetlixs

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Can I ask where abouts you live Mnspinner?

I didn't know that molasses could do that - our feed stores shipments of goat feed started containing more molasses and our goats don't eat it well.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont care much for purina, but their mineral mix seems to work well. thats the only product i ever use. I like nutrena a lot better, but still prefere to mix my own grain. I dont like all the 'extras' that are put into pre mixed grains.
    beth

9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I haven't tried Purina mins but my objection was why pay for 40% salt? I've heard pretty much positive reviews for Sweetlix. But again, until I do some experimenting, it's still not certain the minerals are the culprit. Maybe if I switch my grain that will do it and at least cut down the molasses.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I loved purina minerals -- goats did much better on it then when on sweetlix

I just now switched to southern states Top Choice goat mineral due to it being easier to get and less expensive. It looks like sand though :shrug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW it is kind of weird to hear how some goat do on Purena and some on Sweet lix.

Mine have the sweet lix and they do great, and I had Purina for months and they never touched it at all, when I cleaned out the Purina and put sweetlix in they ate it like they were really lacking. i give my own mix of grain and I ONLY give molasses a all to any of my goats when they kid, other then that they do not get any at all (except I guess in the Sweetlix mineral, I never thought to look at that at all,thanks for the info).

My other suggestion is STOP feeding grain all together for a bit. If she is getting good quality of hay she does not need grain at all right now. Matter of fact I did not feed any of my goats grain until they kidded unless they were really big so it could help them. I have very good hay and that is all they need. I would start feeding her grain without molasses about 4-6 weeks from kidding.

Does she eat the baking soda that you have out at all? Mine eat it like crazy when they are close to the end of their pregnancy.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

The thing about widespread mineral like purina and sweetlix, is they are formulated to the whole U.S. Which can be really hard as different areas need different amounts of things. I for one am in a low selinium area. i give free choice purina minerals as well as a couple of shots od Bo-Se a year. Other areas further east dont need to give either, because their selimium is higher.
    Different goats in different areas are going to do well/better/not as well on different minerals.
    beth

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I think I would worry about the alfalfa more than the grain. Legumes are what cause bloat in other ruminants. But just change one thing at a time until you can narrow it down.

14. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    The alfalfa pellets would seem to be ruled out, as she's been fine on this previously. I started mixing in more oats and thus cutting back a bit on the molasses intake. So far so good. Time will tell.