Doe Critique

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Oliveoil, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0884.JPG
    I would love your thoughts on this yearling. She is a Reg. Alpine and isn't the most cooperative, as you can probably tell. I absolutely love her, but I might be a little biased.:heehee:

2. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin

3. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I am in no way a dairy judge, but she looks absolutely gorgeous!!:inlove::inlove::hubbahubba:(thumbup)

4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    LOVELY doe! I love that high wide eustachian space and the tucked up tight udder. Her back and rump are really level.

5. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I Love her topline, legs look nice and straight.

I'm no expert, and i have absolutely no idea if this is a flaw in the show ring, this is just my personal preference since I hand milk, but I'd like to see her teats pointing down more. The pictures make her look like her teats point out toward her legs which will make hand milking a little more difficult.

Overall she's a beauty!

6. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Well see she is a dry yearling with a precocious udder, mostly on one side. So her udder cant really be judged

7. Goataddict

Goataddict Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I am no diary judge but she look beautiful

8. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    She is a pretty doe!

I like her strength and levelness over the topline though she could have more stature and levelness in her rump. She is long and dairy with a prominent brisket, smoothness of blending and nice front end with her fore legs nicely under her shoulder. I would like to see her wider and more open in the rear and I would like to see more rear leg angulation.

9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

My untrained eye is surprised you say that. Leg angulation is the angle of the bend of the leg right? So you would like to see a closer toward 90 degree bend? What makes this a desirable trait?

10. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Look at the back of her rear legs from the side. From the hocks up, you want the back of her leg to curve inward smoothly.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=201...AQ&biw=360&bih=588&dpr=4#imgrc=9ELSUGEO7Oqq9M
    This doe is black so she's a little harder to see, but look at her rear leg angulation.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=201...=4#imgrc=9ELSUGEO7Oqq9M&imgdii=e2_u1b7TmpOw-M
    This one is even nicer.

MellonFriend likes this.
  11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Okay, makes sense! :) Thanks.