Doe down and cannot get up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by EandEBoersWV, Apr 14, 2012.

1. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    Okay, So I have a 9 year old doe that has been bred every year since she was old enough and survived the Meningeal Deerworm infection. This all happened before I got her. Okay so she had had diarrhea and I took a fecal to the vet and they told me to deworm her. Followed their instructions. She still was having issues so I called the breeder I got her from, who happens to be a cousin of mine who I am very close to and has goats for about 15 years now. She said to give her Pen G for 5 days and see what happens. Well yesterday which would've been her 3rd day of it, she could not get up. Her front end was trying but the back end was not cooperating. So I went ahead and gave her the pen g yesterday and today. Today she tried so hard to get up. he rback legs were moving more today but they just couldn't get up. I picked her up and she still can't stand. Her poop is back to normal and she is eating and acting alert and healthy. I just don't know what to do????????

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like possible meningeal worm again. I would give her Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days in a row. I would also give her some Banamine.

3. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    I should have specified, she had the meningeal worm when she was a year old, 8 years ago. She has not been out to pasture and has been on very clean second cutting hay from last year and grain. so it is a very low chance she could have been reinfected.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Man that is tough, with out seeing her I would say you got the worm thing worked out but it took its toll on her energy. I would maybe get some Magic/Nutri Drench in her and make her drink some gator aid and see if I could bump her energy level up. If she is in no pain I may just let her stay down but help her up to pee or what ever and maybe tomorrow she will want to get up. BTW Penn acts pretty slow and is not my first choice if I have a downed goat. Nuflor would be your best bet since it works for arthritis as well as respiratory, and starts working in 20 min where Penn takes 3 days to be absorbed.

5. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    Thanks for the tip on the Nuflor. I have been feeding her electrolytes in pudding (she loves it lol). I have some nutridrench I will try. She hates any liquid forced down her and usually spits/sneezes half of what you give her back out. I broke some branches off of some bushes today and gave them to her to munch on and she loved it. She tried several times to get up and go get her own greens to eat but she just couldn't do it.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What kind of hay? Could it be calcium def? If preg how far along?

7. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    Just regular hay from my dads fields. She is not pregnant. She had kids in January and I weaned them April 6.

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I am sorry that you are dealing with this. It sounds like what I went through in dec with my boer girl oprah. We ended up euthanizing her. She stayed down for a few days and was eating like a champ.my vet said he sees 1-2 boers aweek like that and doesn't know why. He said they can stay like that for awhile with no results. And even though I tried to make sure she had water and stuff she wasn't getting enough fluids. It was a hard choice as she was one of my first goats. Hope you are dealing with something different

9. Plumbago

Plumbago New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Could difinitely be White Muscle Disease. Symptons vary from mild stiffness, obvious pain upon walking to an ability to stand. Caused by deficiency of selenium and/ or vitamin E. Treatable with selenium and or vitamin E

10. have you been giving her Vit B injections and probiotics to keep appitite and good bacteria up with all the antibiotics?

could be worms again best to check just to be sure.

Selenium deficiency is a big posibliity and you want BoSe for that.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It wouldn't hurt to give her a small dose of Bo-se and see if she responds to it..... just be careful....don't give her to much...it is better with Bo-se to start with less.. then more... because later... you can always give more... but can't take back what you give... after you give a large dose..... it is very strong.... :hug: But... if you already have given her Bo-se not long ago...I wouldn't give it to her....

How are her eye's.... are they dancing around? Check for Polio as well.....

Give her a Fortified vit B complex shot.....

Can you build a sling... so she can get her off her feet? Sling her for a couple of hours at a time then ....let her down to rest.....her legs need circulation and movement.....so ....she can try to stand on her own...make it to where... she can touch the ground ....with her knee's slightly bent so.... if she wants to put all her weight on her feet she can..... massage her legs... bend them...work them.... be gentle.... :hug: :pray:

12. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    No improvement at this point. Contemplating euthanizing her. She is 9, has had kids every year of her life and survived a devastating parasite. She has had good quality of life until now. Even if she will recover but will take weeks or months to be able to get up, her quality of life will be low. I do not want her to suffer. A paralyzed large animal will not survive long anyway. I hope I do not anger too many people by saying this. A vet call will be very expensive, and when they do come out who knows if they would be able to save her?

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :hug: I think that's an incredibly unselfish and responsible thing to do if you feel it is her time.

14. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I agree with Kylee. You are thinking about your goat not what you want. Good luck!

15. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I definitely know what you are going thru. I don't think anyone would fault you for your choice. We all know how hard it is to see an animal suffer even if its still eating. Hugs

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I respect your decision....you have a good heart.... :hug: :pray:

17. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Went through much the same thing a few months back. It is a hard decision to make but we have to think of our animal's welfare. Veterinary visits are out of the question for us so we have to do the best we can.
    My sympathies. :sigh:

18. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    I just want to say that everyone on here is so supportive. :stars: I appreciate so much all the advice and goat chit chat I get from day to day. Thank you all so much. :hi5: Even though today is going to be a rough one here at our farm :( , knowing that other people have went through the same thing out there makes it a little easier.

19. MAW

MAW New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Rathdrum, Idaho
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.. we have been there too...we know your pain... :hug: :grouphug: