The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat who is due the end of the month. We had a farm sitter and the sitter called me excited that my goat who has twins nursing off her milked out a whole gallon. That didn't sound right so I had her send me a picture and it was not the goat with twins, but my doe who is still pregnant.

I had her freeze the colostrum for us to give the babies by bottle when they get here, but how bad will this be? She milked her completely out. So now is what she'll produce be second colostrum? Do we need to only have the babies drink the frozen stuff for 24 hours or can they nurse too?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
She should produce more-I've been told that the bulk of colostrum is produced in the early stages of labor.

·
Registered
538 Posts
She should produce more-I've been told that the bulk of colostrum is produced in the early stages of labor.
I read that too from another member of this forum.

Some does let their babies nurse until the next baby arrives, so nature must have a way of dealing with this.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Yeah, she will produce more, being almost a month from due date things will be OK, unless she was introduced bacteria by not using an udder washed before and after milking, then dried.

Make sure, she isn't milked again until she does kid, unless she gets mastitis from this.
The milk that was taken from her may not have colostrum in it or not much if any.
But is good to have on hand for a goat who may need it later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help! That helps put my mind at ease. She did clean before and after and used fight-bac, so hopefully we will be okay from a bacteria standpoint.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I've had high production does that got such a full udder well before delivery that I had to milk them to make them comfortable. I just froze the colostrum and fed it to the kids at birth.

However, this year I had a doe kid with an empty udder, her yearling daughter drained her dry the day before she kidded and she never produced any more. I pulled the kids and are bottle feeding them now because I have no place to put the yearling to keep her away from Mom. I was afraid the kids would never get the milk because big sis would drink it all.

I was taught in Ag school that colostrum is a 1 shot deal, they produce a single udder full and that is it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts