Doe due to kid today

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by April2008, Sep 27, 2008.

1. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi. I have a doe that I got at the auction in May of this year. They didn't have much information on her except that she might be bred. I went out to feed the horses this morning and she had mucas coming out. And to me she looks like she is dialating. I checked on her just about every hour. I sure am getting my work out for the day to and from the barn.

I took a couple pictures and was wondering if any of you have any idea of what sort of time frame I might be looking at?

I have delivered horses, cows, dogs, cats and was a coach to a friend of mine with two of her kids but nerver goats. I am a little bit nervous. It is almost 4pm my time and I figure I better make a strong pot of coffee as I think I'll be needing it. The weather is pretty warm here today a little cool at night if that might make a difference.

As for supplies I have so far a bottle of wine (for myself), puppy pads for drying them off and one of those deals that sucks the mucas from their mouth and nose some old towells and a vets number just in case. Is there anything I might be missing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    if she is due to kid she will: have her tail stiff and arched, mucus will be coming out her vulva, act strange, her legs will be posty and she will try to make 'nests'. :wave: oh yeah, and her ligaments by her tail will be really low and mushy.

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    And before she will kid, like maybe a week or two before, my does typically fill their milk bag . . . by the pix it doesn't seem like she's filled up yet--- but I could be wrong.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She doesnt look ready to me yet. If she is even bred she has a lot of time left, possibly a couple months. Her udder isnt even filling yet.

5. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Thank you for all of your help.

I guess I was under the impression that once there was signs of mucas the doe was close to kidding. She hasn't started to nest that I can tell. I agree from other pictures I have seen her milk bag is nothing compared to the others. Then again I had a horse that didn't get her milk till after she had the foal. Is that also the case with some goats?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes that can happen too.

What color was the discharge? A amber colored long string of mucus means impending kidding (not all does will do this though)

Goats can have a discharge when they are in heat too.

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    if you have a buck, you might wanna tease to see if she's in heat . . . do you have any pix of her stomach from the top?

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Have you been to the http://www.fiascofarm.com website? It has pics and videos of goats giving birth,
    it was very helpful to me. She also has ists of everything you need. I'm not sure if your goat is
    pregnant or just in heat, pics from above will help these ladies tell which. Is this the only goat you
    have? Welcome to TGS!

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I agree with Sonrise- she hasn't bagged up at all- and her cha-cha-isn't swollen- You said that you got her in may, so if she were due -it would be no later than October- I'd keep an eye on her and tease her to see if she is in heat.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    As for the kidding supplies, there is a great thread in the Kidding Koral http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=354

ligaments is another way you can tell she is getting closer. When her ligs are gone then she is close, but not always. Watch for her rear legs to go completely straight. I think there is another topic here in Kidding Koral titled Posty Doe...that is another good topic that covers what I just explained.

If she is bred, she still has a while to go. Good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Yea i agree.. nowhere close.. my doe that i've been waiting forever to kid her chacha is getting puffy, but shecould still have another 20 days.. sigh

12. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Re: Doe due to kid updated pic

Again thank you for all of your help. I took a few more pictures of her this morning.

I have another doe with her but no bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    She looks like she is in heat to me!!! I would get a buck in with her. That udder looks like a dried up udder from previous kiddings and that back end looks like heat to me. hope it all works out for you

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    definitely looks like she's preggy. I'd say either a hefty single or a set of twins in there. Keep an eye on her and keep us updated on her progression.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I still think she is in heat, but I have been known to be wrong

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    really stacy? man she looks pretty big to me . . . but you've had more experience, so I'll sit back and watch the pros . . . :clap:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Size around the belly doesnt make a doe pregnant

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree - that I don't think that she is pregnant. I would tie her up or put her in a milk stand and pallpate her tummy. You would definately be able to feel something if she is indeed preggers. IF she were pregnant, I would anticipate a single - but....

Because she is not poofy in the backend, rectum is not pushed out much, no udder development, I tend to think it is a heat, also. But we all have made mistakes before :wink:

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree w/ Allison and Stacey, she doesn't look bred to me. She looks a little fat and looks like she's had at least 2 other kidding before, she looks like she's in heat at the moment, the cha cha pics have that kinda crusty stuff around there which is what seems to happen when they come into season. Do you have someone in your area w/ a buck so you could breed her?? She's a good looking doe so you should get some nice kids out of her!

20. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Gosh thank you for all of your replies. After watching her yesterday I too thought she could be in heat. My other doe was trying to mount her then the black one would get sort of cranky with her and head butt her away.

When I went out to feed this morning her udder seemed to have increase a little. I made sure to take several looks to make sure my eyes weren't playing with me. Thought to myself it could be the way she is standing or my eye sight. I don't have a milk stand but I will have someone hold her while I try to feel around for something. Would I be feeling for the same thing I would when checking a dog or cat?

Would any of you mind if I posted more pictures tonight? That is if there seems to be any change.

I don't know them but theres a family that raises pygmy goats around the corner and they have a buck. To be honest not really experienced enough in goats and or breeding. I would much rather rescue another than breed at this time. I currently have 19 animals (4 dogs, 4 cats, 6 birds, 2 horses, 1 very cute pony, and two goats) . Some say I am crazy but I cannot turn my back on a starving animal.

Thank you,