Doe due yesterday and loose stool today...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Spryng, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    I have a 3 yo doe, this is her 2nd freshening, she was due yesterday but still no sign of labor other than her ligs getting softer.
    Tonight I just noticed she has loose stool. We wormed the whole herd a week ago and gave them their follow up yesterday (mollys natural wormer) we haven't changed feed etc.
    How do I combat this? I gave her probiotic, anything else? Is this pregnancy related or something else?

Attached Files:

2. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    Just checked her temp and it's normal, she's eating and drinking fine. In fact yesterday she was running and playing with the other goats.

3. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    I don't have an option for a fecal at the moment, just looking for ideas in the mean time. Do goats get loose stools before or with labor?

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    There should always be an option for a fecal test. Any vet can do it - and you can mail it out for 5 bucks to MeadowMist Lab.

Check her FAMACHA score.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

No, it's not necessarily a sign of labor. I'd probably just dose probiotics (which I see you already did) and keep an eye on her, especially since you say temp is normal and attitude is good. Sometimes goats are just off one day. If it persists for more than 24 hours, that's when I'd start looking into other options.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  6. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    Thank you so much! I can definitely do that. Does adding apple cider vinegar to their water help as well? Because I can add that tomorrow.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I disagree - diarrhea is not normal. For a pregnant doe, I would be concerned.

MadHouse and Spryng like this.
  8. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Do you have a microscope? Running your own fecals is fairly simple. I can walk you through the process. A few of my goats had loose stools right before and after kidding but it is not always what happens.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did she only do that for one poop? They can have loose stool at the end. I'd start with a B Complex shot and probiotics.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    I don't have a microscope, so with yours, it went away once kidding was over or did you need to give them anything?

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    Only one I've seen so far, I'm picking up B complex in the morning, thank you!

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    I definitely am, that is why I posted. Didn't know if others experienced it as well in their does.

MadHouse likes this.
  13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Start with the B Complex and probiotics. If it continues, have a fecal done to include coccidia.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  14. carrotsnranch

carrotsnranch Active Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Fuquay NC
    A few of my does had loose stool right at the end. I treated it, but I think it had to do with baby.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I gave probiotics for 3 days before she kidded and then waited to see her poops after she kidded. They were normal so I didn't treat her after that. If she has gooey poop for more than 24 hrs, there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

MadHouse and Spryng like this.
  16. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    This is excellent advice

17. Spryng

Spryng Member

May 15, 2019
    Missouri
    Thank you all so much! She is back to normal pellet stool today so I'm just continuing to keep an eye on her. 2 days overdue and counting lol

MadHouse and ksalvagno like this.
  18. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Any sign of labor yet?

Spryng likes this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is doing OK now. :)

MadHouse likes this.