The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Bambi has weaned her kid she is giving me a lot more milk. Problem is she is small and finishes the grain I give her before I am done milking. Then she starts fidgeting and the hoof in the bucket is a major risk. I really don't want to give her more grain, but would like to give her something that requires a lot of chewing to slow her down, like jerky. I currently feed her grain, some BOSS, and beet pulp. What do you feed your doe on the stand? Any ideas for goat jerky?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm sort of going through the same thing, so I'm interested to hear what other people say. I feed shredded alfalfa cubes mixed with my doe's grain. I also put a big piece of a goat mineral block in her bucket to slow her down.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I feed grain after I milk not durring. They learn to be good untill I'm done. After a week or two I have FFs who can be milked by a child they are so calm. If they start to fidget they get lightly popped on the hip and I keep milking. If they are still figiting by the time I'm done I play milk untill they stand still. I love teaching does new to milking to be good on the stand.

·
8,066 Posts
I put fist size clean rocks in the feed dish. They have to move the rocks around in order to eat.
It takes awhile for them to eat and by then, I am done milking. I do like the idea of not feeding them
on the milk stand, but I don't have time to wait for them to eat after the milking. Someday, when life
isn't so complicated, I'll train them like Xymenah! :)

·
2,203 Posts
When first starting a new FF, we milk without grain as well. Once I can approach and milk the lady in the field, she's ready to "earn" her milk time grain as well.

This makes it easy for us if we ever leave for a day. It cuts down on time for the milker if they eat during.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the rock idea. I live in a very very very rocky area and small rocks are plentiful. I just might try that tomorrow. Had to take children to the doctor today and stopped at a feed store in that town but they do not sell alfalfa pellets. Next time I go to my regular feed store I will ask them.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally was able to buy some alfalfa pellets. Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been helpful.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I put fist size clean rocks in the feed dish. They have to move the rocks around in order to eat.
It takes awhile for them to eat and by then, I am done milking. I do like the idea of not feeding them
on the milk stand, but I don't have time to wait for them to eat after the milking. Someday, when life
isn't so complicated, I'll train them like Xymenah! :)
I do something similar but i use chunks of goat mineral block. My goats never would lick the things, so i busted them up and put the chunks in the feed pan to slow them down when they are munching their chow on the milk stand.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I give her about 2 cups at each milking, plus a large handful of beet pulp, and a tiny bit of sunflower seeds every other day. Since throwing in a few rocks and adding some alfalfa cubes, she and I finish around the same time. I like the idea of breaking up a mineral block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts