The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.5 year old San Clemente Island goat doe, Pearl, who is the herd queen, has had either slightly weak back legs or favoring at least one back leg, for about a week. A week ago I checked her hooves-fine, temperature-fine. I didn't detect anything being the cause of hind leg issues. Famacha was good. She still has back legs bothering her. She is walking a little bit hunched. She is walking around fine, but a bit slow, and not her usual Bossy self. What should I do, is it time for the vet? (picture of Pearl with her party hat.)
Plant Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Goat

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have any white tail deer around? Meningeal worm comes to mind.
No, mule deer here in CA. I rather doubt the deer come into their pens. I'm in a rural residential area. But I suppose you never know. The local UC Davis lab said they cannot detect meningeal worms in fecal sample. I'm trying to find out if we even have meningeal worms in goats in my area. Plus we have been extremely dry, drought, here for months. But the symptoms sound possibly like hers... scary!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Karen, On Tennesee Meat Goats website, I found the dose: 23cc/100 lb 1x a day x 5 days. But Meningeal worms are in the Eastern USA in areas of high rainfall, not the West Coast, and we are totally in a drought here. This goat doesn't like to be handled, so if this is a needless treatment, I don't want to put her through it, and it leaves the actual cause unknown then...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your hay comes from an area with White tail deer then MW can enter that way as well.
Thanks! I just checked with both my hay suppliers, and none has come from Arizona. SW Arizona is the closest that White Tail Deer are to my area, which is Coastal Central California.

So, what else could be bothering her?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Other reasons for weakness could be injury. Do a pinch test down her spine see if there is a pain reaction, move back lags in all directions and motions wand watch for pain reaction. Of course with her not being tame that alone will be difficult. If everything seems well ....pen her alone a few days to rest. Keeping food and water handy. A shot of banamine to see if that helps.
Oh thank you. I gave her a banamine and lightly checked her spine, I do think something is going on there. She is fairly stressed. Will watch and repeat banamine tomorrow. May get the vet to do a more thorough exam.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My vet and the lab confirmed there's no Meningeal Worms here, but my vet suggested giving her BoSe and Vitamin B+ (thiamine) to see if that helps, in case it is something to do with white muscle disease or Goat polio, and see how she does. The B+ thiamine 1x day for 3 days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts