Doe feeling off/sick- low temp.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by all1965, Sep 23, 2008.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Ok, this morning I went to feed and Tilda just kind of stood in the hallway of the barn. I poured the feed and the slowly walked over to a bowl of food and nibbled at the pellets. Another goat came and pushed her away like they always do at feeding time but she did not push back and then slowly walked outside and layed down on the ledge of the barn.
    So I knew something was up. I finished feeding and throwing out hay and then went and took her temp. I took her temp 3 times and all 3 times it came out to be 100 degrees.
    So what would ya'll recommend me doing? She doesn't seem to be uncomferable just sick. I have never dealt with bloat but its hard to tell on her because she does have cashmere and is possibily around 2 1/2 months pregnant.
    I usually have baking soda out but with all the rain we have had its nasty so I am going to go offer her some and give her some drench.
    Are there any other suggestions? What could this be?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Did you read through the topic from "sixshooterfarm" titled "help"? That goat also had a low temp. Is she doing any of the "star gazing" thing? That would be polio, requiring thiamine. Will she drink? I'd offer her some warm water with molasses or Karo in it. Probios? More experience will come on soon, never fear! Good luck with your doe. :hug:

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We took her to the vet this morning.
    He gave her some banimine, B-12 and something else that I can't remember right now.
    He said her lungs and heart sound good. Her eyes and lips have good color.
    By time we got her to the vet her temp had gone up to 101.6
    He told us to just keep her in a stall with fresh water and hay.
    This evening I took her temp and it was 102.3 so its going up.
    She acted very hungry for grain but vet said not to give her any.
    She was munching on hay and drinking so hopefully she is on the mend.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you have it under control....and did sound to be a tummy upset....stay with the vets advice, no grain and lots of hay and water. :wink: No matter how sad she looks at you, more fiber in her gut will get her rumen going therefore raising her temp :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would be worried about calcium intake since she is pregnant. If she becomes calcium deficent she can go down fast.

But i hope that what the vet did helps her bounce back quick

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Shes only possibily about 6 weeks along and thats if she took.
    We feed something called Chaffhaye whichi is an Alfala hay chopped pretty small with molasses and other supplements lightly sprayed over it.
    I think the Chaffhaye has enough calcium in it.
    I also gave her a drench of Goat Power Punch and Calcium drench.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Make sure you have baking soda out for her. I have a doe that right after she is bred she eats its it like candy. That is how I know she is bred.
    I guess it is like some people. They get heart burn once they get pregnant.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats what I was going on from your first post :shrug:

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Did the vet say what he think she had or was it just a tummy ache...I wish that was all that was wrong with my goat. My husband gets paid friday and I am taking him to the vet.

10. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Since she rebounded quickly my feeling is your doe probably wasn't seriously ill and just "off" for a day. My goats go through this every now and then. I let them go for a day or two and if they don't recover then I step in. In most cases a healthy adult should bounce back.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    mnspinner......for me if anyone is down or not acting right I step in then and there ,first I take temperature and if they have one I treat immediately...

If they do not have a temp then I usually give them probiotic paste and baking soda.....usually tummy ache....cut out the grain............. feed them eucalyptus leaves and alfalfa,of course they just nibble......... and monitor them ,,usually ..by the next day they are close to being back to normal...........I do this for about 3 days ..........

I rather treat while it is controllable.......... rather than....... to late...........when there rumen is off we need to help them jump start it................

I do not take any chances............( pneumonia can kill them quickly)..............

12. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I don't disagree and I always take temp if a goat is under the weather and take it from there. But you get a "feel" for your gang if you're in tune with them and based on several years of experience. I monitor my goaties many times/day and get a gut feeling when to treat and when to let their own immune systems kick something out. We're not talking anything major illness here. I've just seen a lot of goaters reach for meds at the drop of a hat when not necessary. I would certainly not approve of a hands off approach for any serious health issue.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    not everyone has your experience ,there are some new goat people out there and if they read it as you said

We do not want them to get the wrong impression.................. so I made sure they new..............take temp first..... and with results......to treat accordingly.............ect on my prior post

14. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    She is back to normal. Yes the vet said something was definetly off and he felt that she needed treatment. He said he felt that we had an impending bloat and that when the temp gets low (it was 100) it is a sign of rumen distress and we definetly want to attack those head on. Once the rumen starts shutting down it is a long and hard fought battle most of the time to get it started again. If they are feeling blah and they dont have a temp of course I watch them but her temp was low so I treat a low temp as drastic as I treat a high temp.

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely, a low temp is just as bad as a high temp....as you said all1965, low means rumen shut down and you acted fast enough to catch it and treat it, great job!

Higher than normal temp means that their body is fighting an infection of sorts, it is the bodies natural reaction to try and kill whatever virus or bacteria that may be "invading"....higher than 104.5 is cause for alarm and antibiotics should be given/chosen carefully to fight the infection as well as bring the temp back to normal....not everyone treatsthe same type of infection in the same manner, experience with your herd is always the best course of action and we all don't have the 'same" goats so we treat them as we know them. :greengrin:

Getting a temp to work with is always a good approach, and most of us do this first thing, but even I have "panicked" and sought help without taking a temp beforehand, easy enough to do when you are worried and trying to figure out what's wrong.BTW...I have 4 thermometers for my goats and dogs and can never seem to find any of them when I need it! :oops: