Doe foaming at mouth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dogwoodcreek-Alpines, May 14, 2014.

1. Dogwoodcreek-Alpines

Dogwoodcreek-Alpines Member

May 14, 2014
    I have a 3 year old Alpine doe that I can't figure out. She has been foaming at the mouth for a week or two now, no bloat, eats and drinks well, high milk production, about 7 weeks postpartum. Some days she has no foam, frequently just a touch about the lips, today it was dripping while she chewed her cud. No other does, just her. I have given baking soda, probiotics, wormed her with safeguard and ivermec and today cydectin. She has a large gash I have been treating for a week or so on her udder and she got a round of antibiotics for that, the wound seems to be improving. She has had a cdt vaccine. She also concerns me because she has been standing off to herself with back hunched and acts like movement is painful. Ideas?

2. Poisonous plant? Do you have activated charcoal?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you check her for food blockage in her check or throat? If it was from poisonous plant ect, she would be very bad off by now or gone, after all that time.

4. Dogwoodcreek-Alpines

May 14, 2014
    I don't have activated charcoal. I wouldn't think she is blocked... eating, drinking, and pooping normally. A vet on another group told me its a sign of a very healthy buffered rumen or clover.

5. thegoatgirl

thegoatgirl Alpine Addict!

Nov 26, 2011
    Elgin, Texas
    I would agree, probably not poisonous plants :)
    It could be that she eats to fast and starts choking. Scary, but they end up okay. :)

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you have clover in your fields or hay?

7. Dogwoodcreek-Alpines

May 14, 2014
    In both, most likely. I know there is quite a bit in their pasture.

Attached Files:

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That will do it. Doesn't harm them. Just doesn't look nice.

9. OK so I wasn't way off base by suggesting the issue was causd by a plant.

10. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I wouldn't call clover "poisonous", but it does seem to be hard on their digestive system...

11. I guess my idea of poisonous isn't the same as most? But if my goat ate a plant that caused that kind of rumen upset complete with foaming out of the mouth I would call that poisoning.

Its called Prussic Acid Poisoning here is a link about it and the plants that cause it, and white clover is on the list.
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/haygraintoxicity.html

12. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Hmm, that's interesting. I guess my definition of poisonous is when the goat is seizuring on the ground or dies lol. Probably not the smartest way to think, but oh well :)

13. Im sure that is how a lot of producers do think of poisoning. But thanks to the OP we all got an education on what happens bto a goat when to much clover is consumed.

14. eqstrnathlete

eqstrnathlete Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Clover does that to my horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

15. Dogwoodcreek-Alpines

May 14, 2014
    If drooling is the only evidence of "poisoning" I will take it as it is. Lol. I would have to spray a large portion of their pasture to eradicate the clover, and I don't want to do that around my milk goats. I will watch her closely. Her mincing walk made me think her feet hurt, so I trimmed them but they don't seem bad.... one did seem to have the blood very close to the surface... stone bruise perhaps?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Drooling does not always indicate poisoning.

True Poisoning, is when a goat drools badly and gets very ill in a short amount of time. If not treated ASAP the goat will die.

Clover is not the best thing for goats, especially if they are subjected to a lot of it, small amounts is OK.
    Clover can cause frothy bloat, in which you may be seeing now.

Some blockages are not full blockages yet, if it isn't removed when it is small, it can continue to accumulate cutting off air ect.
    When just beginning, it can mess with the salivary system and cause drooling, cud may be stuck and compacting from the check starting down to the throat or hay may be in their teeth, can disrupt normal re-regurgitation and saliva.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    I have white clover in all my areas, what level of concern should I have?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As long as a goat doesn't eat too much of it, they should be OK, keep an eye out for drooling or illness.

20. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA