The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could we keep a ND doe as a pet and not breed her? Don't have much time for milking or breeding these days. But would like to eventually. Will a doe become mean if you don't breed her?

·
Super Moderator
59,347 Posts
Sure you can have a doe for a pet. She will not turn mean. If you don't breed her, then you don't have to worry about milk or kids.

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
DOes make nice pets, do Make sure she has a goat companion...someone to play with and curl up with...they just do better with a goat friend..happier

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have two ND wethers right now. Butchering some steers after the new year. Thinking maybe I'll have room for some new goat babies? Don't know if I want to get another ND or something new.... Do the different breeds get along ok?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not familiar with a lot of the breeds. I do like the floppy ears the boers have. Very cute

·
570 Posts
If you introduce them they will eventually merge as one herd but we have noticed the meat breeds don't mingle well with the dairy breeds for some reason my friend has fainting goats as meat goats and nigies alpines and lamanchas as dairy they all get along find and dandy till the meat and dairy mix and everything goes haywire from there

·
570 Posts
Idk it may just be her goats, but they seem not to get along

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
we ran boar with dairy with no issues, other than the horns..which didnt mix well..its more of a get to know eachother deal..most goats get along just fine..you can have a bully in any herd.regardless of breed..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well I hope they make good pets cause we are getting a pair of mostly Nigerian (1/4 toggenburg) and wont be breeding for awhile until we can commit to the milking routine (they are only 16 weeks right now ).....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are starting to become addicting. I think I will be on the look out for a doeling next. Can't wait to have room for more :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts