The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Hope all is well

I was surprised this morning to see one of my first-timer doe's gave birth! When I came out to check on them, she must have just birthed them maybe a half hour before I came out. She kidded a week earlier than expected. She was due next Thursday.

Anyways, as I was inspecting her, I noticed she hasn't really bagged much and did not seem full of milk. I attemted to express the teats, and when doing it a couple times, a gel-like substance began to come out, with the consistency similar to toothpaste.
20210107_083931.jpg
20210107_083943.jpg

More gel-like.

So because her teats are high up and I know the kids haven't gotten much yet, I prepped the kid colustrum (store bought) and so far they have been on that. I'm sort of worried she won't have any/enough milk to give them?

Unfortunately I also noticed that when she gave birth, another pregnant doe was attempting to mother these kids, licking them clean. I'm worried this ruined the bonding moment between this doe and her kids.. She is not rejecting them, and has licked them a bit, but is not acting super motherly either.

Anyways, kids are overall healthy and if I must, I'll bottle feed these kids, but I'd love to hear some advice on this doe. Is there a way to encourage her milk to come down? Should I try harder to latch the kids on whether theyre getting much milk at all?

Not my first time with kids, but it is a first time with a doe that seemingly doesn't have milk or isn't super motherly towards the kids.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I’ve found this in does a day or two before kidding. When they kidded it had changed to regular colostrum.
I’m thinking what’s going on with your doe is her milk hasn’t come in yet. I would find some colostrum to give the kids to make sure they get a good start, and just leave them with mom. Keep checking her and if she still doesn’t have milk, I’d keep feeding the kids bottle but still leave them with her, to stimulate milk production. Hopefully her milk will come in soon!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Hello everyone. Hope all is well

I was surprised this morning to see one of my first-timer doe's gave birth! When I came out to check on them, she must have just birthed them maybe a half hour before I came out. She kidded a week earlier than expected. She was due next Thursday.

Anyways, as I was inspecting her, I noticed she hasn't really bagged much and did not seem full of milk. I attemted to express the teats, and when doing it a couple times, a gel-like substance began to come out, with the consistency similar to toothpaste.
View attachment 193933 View attachment 193935
More gel-like.

So because her teats are high up and I know the kids haven't gotten much yet, I prepped the kid colustrum (store bought) and so far they have been on that. I'm sort of worried she won't have any/enough milk to give them?

Unfortunately I also noticed that when she gave birth, another pregnant doe was attempting to mother these kids, licking them clean. I'm worried this ruined the bonding moment between this doe and her kids.. She is not rejecting them, and has licked them a bit, but is not acting super motherly either.

Anyways, kids are overall healthy and if I must, I'll bottle feed these kids, but I'd love to hear some advice on this doe. Is there a way to encourage her milk to come down? Should I try harder to latch the kids on whether theyre getting much milk at all?

Not my first time with kids, but it is a first time with a doe that seemingly doesn't have milk or isn't super motherly towards the kids.
Some colostrum looks like that. Put her a d the kids in a stall alone for at least a few days. Watch and make sure the kids are nursing... so dont keep them super full with bottles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've found this in does a day or two before kidding. When they kidded it had changed to regular colostrum.
I'm thinking what's going on with your doe is her milk hasn't come in yet. I would find some colostrum to give the kids to make sure they get a good start, and just leave them with mom. Keep checking her and if she still doesn't have milk, I'd keep feeding the kids bottle but still leave them with her, to stimulate milk production. Hopefully her milk will come in soon!
This is very hopeful info! I've been trying to massage and stimulate her udder a bit. The kids are latching on a little bit here and there, so I can only hope her milk is just a bit late. Thank you for your response

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some colostrum looks like that. Put her a d the kids in a stall alone for at least a few days. Watch and make sure the kids are nursing... so dont keep them super full with bottles.
I do have her and her kids in a stall together. She's hanging around them and one of them has been attemptingto latch on. I can only hope now that she is just late. Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
577 Posts
How is the doe's overall health? Is her body condition good? Good pre-delivery health and condition of the doe is vital to a stress free kidding experience. Also, what breed is she? You mentioned this is her first kidding. How old is she? I've had does that I didn't get separated soon enough get bred too early. They didn't form much of a bag, but were able to raise their young. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the milk to fully come in. The jelly looking stuff in the picture looks like early colostrum. I agree that you should monitor closely for the next couple of days. If you haven't been able to verify that they have nursed, and they are beginning to decline, then it would be a good idea to go ahead and begin bottle feeding them colostrum. Good luck. I know this can be stressful, but you are getting some good advice here!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Don't forget the high quality feeding! You could give her a little alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets if you aren't already. That will help her be able to produce milk. Good luck with her!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd try milking her out to help stimulate her if worse comes to worse you can call your vet for oxytocin to help with letdown if it's only been about a day or so

https://goats.extension.org/goat-reproduction-lactation/
Seconding this..it helped my doe after she miscarried and wouldn't let down...her udder was getting stiff. I would milk her if her kids are being bottle fed at times....it will release oxytocin naturally and cause let down if there isn't any other issue

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all! Sorry for the delay.

Great news! She is finally in milk! However I really don't know how much she's producing, but I'm seeing the kids nurse from.her quite a bit now. I think she was coming into milk yesterday but today I checked and its milk now.

All I have done, was try to give her a bit more goat pellets, along with hay and mineral. I was trying to stimulate her under ever since. The gel was becoming a little more loose by the days. And now everything seems good.

The kids still come to me for a bottle, and when they do I try to get them to latch on to her. Because I don't know how much she's producing, I am still offering the bottle right now. I was thinking maybe just having less milk in the bottle if anything? I would live to hear your thoughts on that now.

·
Fair-Haven
4,660 Posts
I have co-parented goats that for one reason or another cannot nurse right from the start. I continue to bring bottles 3x per day, but leave them in with the doe. If they are getting enough from her, they start to reject the bottle, and you can see a difference in her udder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts