The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ... I Tried searching for answers but didn't find the same situation so ...
We had a doe (Boer/Kiko) that Kidded last Friday after showing signs of readiness for a couple days. She finally started labor and after an hour of trying to push I went in to find a sideways head and feet back. I got the head turned but couldn't get the feet turned. Together we birthed the kid and he was already dead but my wife tried to revive him anyway to no avail. Soon it was apparent that another was on its way but again after struggling I went in again and had to help move the kid along as it also had head only no feet forward. She was tired and was not pushing anymore but finally had the second born ... dead also. She passed what appeared to be the uterus sometime during the night as It had been 3 hours of pushing and she was exhausted and looked to be mildly in shock so we let her rest quietly.
Besides the usual calling for babies we noticed nothing else going on except for the usual afterbirth discharge. So yesterday (Thursday) morning she didn't eat her grain as usual but went to eat Hay with the others. Last night (Thursday) same thing but I Noticed a white discharge on her Tail. She picked at her food and we kept her separate and she did eat hay. I took her Temp and found it to be 101.2 F at about 8 pm. This morning (Friday 1 week later after birth) she got on the milking stand and ate most of her grain and I put her with the rest for Hay. She ate very little and then went and laid down. I went back out to check again an hour later as we still have 9 more kidding and she was still in the same spot. I took her Temp again and it was 102.4 F. Still a Bit of the white discharge but there is no foul smell. She seems down, a bit depressed but still alert when I come to the barn. Worried this might be a uterine infection. Had a doe a couple years ago retained some placenta but she was down sick in less that 12 hours and this has been a week now. Don't want to give her drugs that are not necessary but I don't want to wait too long either. Looking for Help or Suggestions ... Thank You

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you go to Fir Meadows website I would recommend BetterDaze and HerBiotic which is a natural antibiotic herb mix. Give her some B vitamins to support her energy and appetite. You can also give her probiotic for stress.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When you got the kids out, could you tell if they had been dead long? If they had been dead a while, the dam might be suffering from the toxins of the decomposing kids. You can give her some charcoal paste just in case...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She Has Had a shot of Vet Prescribed Thiamine/B Vitamins, Had Molasses Water, The Kids Looked like they Had died recently not decomposed but still had some color in the eyes ...
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen "Flushing" mentioned what exactly is the procedure and what do I use ? I saw 1cc per 20# for Pen G 2 x a day for 7 days ... is that right

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You All for your Help ... Our Hershey Passed Today

We also Lost 2 Doe-ling Kids when the Mom Laid on them while Birthing the 3rd of the Triplets ... a Buckling which is Doing Fine ... Not a Good Day on Our Farm :upset:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts