The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed and noticed Tonks (3yo) has bottlejaw. Got her up on the milk stand and her FAMACHA is a low two/high 3…so did I just catch it early or something else?

Treatment given,
Grabbed fresh fecal…will run to the vet later this am.
Valbazen and quest wormers ..appropriately for her weight
5ml fortified b complex
Redcell

will do acv and EO drench later, im about to get my feed delivery

I just received my new kelp order, been out for two weeks so that goes back out today.
Copper boluses are due on 28th but will give a week early, I figure if she’s low everyone is…

@toth boer goats @Jessica84 @ksalvagno @happybleats

Did I miss anything?
I ordered extra alfalfa since there’s no browse to speak of and will pick up another protein pail for protein boost. Good grief, this is my first case of bottlejaw ever….😢🥺

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Sounds like you covered the bases. Keep in mind bottle jaw can come and go and take a while to fully recover from. Don't be tempted to over de worm...that won't help. If you feel she could use extra support...do Tummy Tmer 2x a day.
One teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
Acv
Molasses
20-30cc water
Blend smooth with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you covered the bases. Keep in mind bottle jaw can come and go and take a while to fully recover from. Don't be tempted to over de worm...that won't help. If you feel she could use extra support...do Tummy Tmer 2x a day.
One teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
Acv
Molasses
20-30cc water
Blend smooth with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves.
Thanks so much!

My thought process is the quest is good for 28 days, but I can redo the Valbazen in 10-11 days if she’s not picking back up.

I just gave
2 drops each of doterra‘s wild orange, lemon, oregano and clove, in EEVO. I will do it again tomorrow …
Im not sure how many days for it to kick in, I was thinking 3-5?

What gets me is I feed off the ground and been keeping the feeders beyond full with either costal or alfalfa hay (horse quality) they’ve got individual hanging feed bowls for concentrates (pellets/grain) and it’s been bone dry so no grazing or ground eating really….
I have someone whose going to build all my new pens and runs soon so hopefully I can start rotating fields but I’ve done everything I know how to do to stop a worm problem in my lot😭🥺

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Youre doing all the right things. Since all goats Carry parasites...any stressor can reduce immune system and cause a bloom.
Yes quest stay in the system longer but you can booster Valbazen in 10 days safely.
Feel free to do the ess. Oils a few times the next few days to get a good running start in the system.

Best wishes

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Youre doing all the right things. Since all goats Carry parasites...any stressor can reduce immune system and cause a bloom.
Yes quest stay in the system longer but you can booster Valbazen in 10 days safely.
Feel free to do the ess. Oils a few times the next few days to get a good running start in the system.

Best wishes
Thanks so much!
I’ll start EO’s twice a day and increase to three times If not moving along steadily.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Best wishes
I also have LOH parasite and herbal min and tummy stuff should I put it out mixed in my kelp in case anyones on the fence?
I figure it can’t hurt at least the herbal mins and parasite right?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,744 Posts
I had a doe have bottle jaw without bad FAMACHA earlier this year. Her fecal came back very high for BP anyway even without having pale eyelids. You can absolutely put out the herbamins and the parasite formula in your kelp if you want to. Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. 😉 I'm sure she'll bounce back great for you. 🤗

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Yuppers^^^

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a doe have bottle jaw without bad FAMACHA earlier this year. Her fecal came back very high for BP anyway even without having pale eyelids. You can absolutely put out the herbamins and the parasite formula in your kelp if you want to. Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. 😉 I'm sure she'll bounce back great for you. 🤗
Thanks! I put it out 5 minutes ago. It might stop a problem before it starts😉

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok folks, put your thinking caps on….
Took Tonks pellets for a fecal, the vet said ZERO eggs no coccidia no nothing. She called it pristine?

Im totally bamboozled now. Here’s a picture of Tonks and her headshot….
Head Eye Vertebrate Human body Mammal

Water Working animal Tints and shades Grass Snout

Her under jaw is soft and squishy there’s no bites, stings or pokey things to be found inside or out.(That was not fun) she’s pooping pellets, eating like a hungry goats and as sassy as normal….

Ok…opinions please!

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And bottle jaw generally only presents when worms are present?

Forgive the question but I’m just making sure. 😅
No, it can present with any anemia, or low copper. It can also be because of some beta reasons. Ie ..allergic reaction etc. not a bad question though 🥰😉

I hate even suggesting this but have you tested for CL? Another possibility is a salivary cyst, although those usually present on the outside of the jaw.
Shes CL negative for the last 3 tests and in a closed herd, I looked at her teeth and they’re good so is under her tongue. Good thoughts though …thanks😁

·
Registered
3,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bottle Jaw in Goats: Causes & Best Treatments - Boer Goat Profits Guide

This article goes into more detail about bottle jaw/anemia and other contributing causes when barber pole worms have been ruled out. @GoofyGoat, feel pretty sure you've checked for ticks and/or lice, though mentioning these possibilities might be helpful as these blood sucking creatures can contribute as well.
Good article thanks 🥰🤗

Im bamboozled for sure. She has a smooth shiny coat,is a good weight, and is acting like herself….no lice or ticks I can find..the only trauma is her normal head butting with Luna but they’ve done that daily for the last three years lol.
Im thinking I might have to pull blood for testing if this hasn’t improved/resolved by Monday or Tuesday. I just don’t know.🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
So sorry you and the doe are going through this. You're welcome for the article, I learned a few things and wanted to share the information. I used the sad face for your post because if you're bamboozled, it's probably something that would cause most well seasoned goat owner to scratch their heads. Hope this can be figured out and your girl can start her road to recovery. Hugs.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So sorry you and the doe are going through this. You're welcome for the article, I learned a few things and wanted to share the information. I used the sad face for your post because if you're bamboozled, it's probably something that would cause most well seasoned goat owner to scratch their heads. Hope this can be figured out and your girl can start her road to recovery. Hugs.
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I’m learning new stuff daily. The only thing I‘ve REALLY learned is goats are determined to bamboozle and perplex their people no matter how seasoned they think they are ! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫🤯🤷‍♀️🐐🐐🐐🐐

1 - 20 of 35 Posts