Doe has chorioptic mange

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, May 8, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Shoot! She's been entered in a show next week & has chorioptic mange on her heel. Treated it but I dont think this going to clear up by next week? Enough to take her and pass vet check?
    Do they send everyone home if one goat doesnt pass vet inspection for a show?
    Dogone it she's one of our best but I cant take her unless there's no sign of it. *sigh*

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt risk them sending all your goats home by bringing her. Best to wait for another show for her unfortunatly. :(

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Okay, please educate me about chorioptic mange. How did you know she had it? What does it look like? Where can the goats get it on their body? :wink: Can you tell I'm still learning :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get pics of it...that would help with diagnosis?
    what does it look like? Is it hairless.... scabby .....ect
    does the goat itch badly?

A possible treatment would be....
    Treatment with ivermectin injections twice at three week intervals will usually control mites.

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    will try to get pics later today.
    Vet diagnosed a case I had a couple yrs ago. It pops up on a few goats every yr so I have to stay on top of it.
    They are commonly called heel mites. The doe will bite & sctatch her leg that is the first clue.
    There will be little red scabs (blood) and little crusty yellowish waxy material. It starts in the heel.
    If not treated they will travel up the legs.
    It needs to be treated every 21 days, I use Ivermectin cattle pour on topically on the infected area.
    Today we are completely mucking & will throw either Sweet PDZ or Diatamaceus (sp) Earth down.

So Toth, I should go ahead & actually worm her too then? They are due anyway.I use the injection as oral.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Injecting it will kill those type of mites.....(US)....The only thing is ......it may fester at the site...I have had a few do that.... :wink:

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I have a wether who has red/brown scabby things around the bottom of his legs. He also started loosing the hair on his ears then had big scabs on his neck and his hair fell out. I treated him with Ivermectin SQ for 3 rounds and his hair has grown back on his neck and ears but he still has the red/brown scabby things on his legs. He does seem to bite and scratch at them a bit but he has no hair loss on his legs :? I can try to take a picture later today but my camera is no good at close ups.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    bheila....Are you scraping off the scabs ect.....and cleaning them off....with the legs it seems to take a while to go away.......If you clean off the legs....as much as possible....then maybe put mineral oil or something that may smother what may still be there and it soothes the skin at the same time...........Sometimes ...it is the scabs and healing that may make them itch ...after injection treatment.......the scabs can get thick and huge removing them may help....You may find that some of it under the scab is healed :hug:

9. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Toth-I haven't scraped off any of his scabs. I'll take a brush to his legs and oil him up. I'll shave some of his hair off his legs today so that I can actually get the oil down to his skin. I know he'll look a little goofy but that's okay. He still has a mohawk on his neck from his hair growing back.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yea ...the scabs are nasty and they always seem to be the worst on there legs.....But cleaning the debris and scabs will help.... :greengrin:

11. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So what's the dosage for injection? cant find the info thanks!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I used Ivomac "plus"...Do not give to preggo does .... injected (US), to kill mites.....giving it orally doesn't do the same job.....
    I am not really sure of the dosage because I had another breeder come out and just tell me give your buck 3 1/2 cc and the doe 2 cc's ....I do not know the proper dosage per lb ....I am sorry....hopefully someone .... will come along and answer that part for ya......

I found this link

http://goat-link.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=46

1cc/40lbs goat weight SUbQ injection... but it isn't indicating for mites

when giving the shot...some react more severe in there reactions than others......... ... I recommend getting an opinion by a vet ...to insure proper dosage .... good luck.....:hug:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks bunchesToth! Will call vet monday. Havent got pics yet. Dont know how to load them onto puter yet.

Bheila did you get pics up yet? Im gonna go looook! :greengrin:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the dosage for injectable ivermectin is on the lable. It is 1cc per 100lbs

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I went out and looked at Chester to see if he still had the scabs and he looked okay. The stuff that was on his legs is gone. He did have a few scabs left under his anus where he used to have a whole bunch but the few he had left just flaked right off. It seemed like it was never going to go away. I treated him for it in March. I continuously clean out the goat shed and use DE in the bedding.

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Keep checking him, the first sign squirt some Ivermectin cattle pour on every 21 days on the affected area. It clears up within two or three treatments.
    I tell you I've never had much improvement with bleach water, vaseline or bag balm to smother the critters. This dadgum NW weather!!

17. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    nancy d-I will definitely write that down in my medical journal for my goats. I've been having a hard time with what I thought were earmites and the VetRx never works.