The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I'm new to goats. I just weaned all if our kids two days ago. I have a friendly doe and noticed her very uncomfortable and her bag was huge. So I felt the bag and it was very warm to the touch and sensitive. I don't know how to help her. When we had sheep we never had problems with our ewes when we weaned lambs.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You should milk her if she is really bagged up and firm. Sometimes they need milked when you wean the kids because they produce a lot of milk, and you don't want them to get mastitis.
How old are the kids you weaned off them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try to milk her but she was way to tender. Her kid was probably 3 months. Should I try again today ?

·
2,203 Posts
You need to milk her to relieve her whether she likes it or not. At this time, check for mastitis as well (flakes, chunks, watery, abnormal milk). If she does have mastitis, you'll want to treat her at this time. One tube per half, 12 hours apart. Milk her out completely as you can and inject the tube. When you milk her for the first time she may hold her milk. Rub and massage her with a hot compress. You can smother her bag with peppermint oil like udder comfort, or Vicks. I would do this even if she doesn't have mastitis. She'll likely have edema (fluid swelling) from the pressure of the milk. If you plan on milking for personal use, go ahead and keep milking her. If you plan on drying her up, milk her only to relieve her, which may be often for the first two weeks, then just as needed. I always use Tomorrow dry cow paired with Orbeseal as my sealant choice.

Good luck and fill us in!

·
14,615 Posts
Yes you are going to have to force the issue. Tie her up short, speak calm to her. You might have to hold up a rear leg.
If she turns her head toward you with ears back she might try to bite.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news..I went out and felt her bag.. Not as warm and I did milk her.. Wahoo!! How much and long should milk her.

·
2,203 Posts
Good news..I went out and felt her bag.. Not as warm and I did milk her.. Wahoo!! How much and long should milk her.
You should be milking her completely out. As far as how long you need to? If you want her to keep up in production, everyday at least. If you want her to dry up, just start milking her by "feel". When her bag feels full milk o relieve her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts