Doe has lopsided udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Twisted Vines Farm, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Twisted Vines Farm

Twisted Vines Farm New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    I have a first freshening doe who has developed a SUPER lopsided udder. She freshened with a nice, symmetrical udder and I was planning on having her appraised and shown next month. I did a california mastitis test and couldn't see anything significant. She is dam raising her twin doelings currently. I tried milking out the bigger side but I didn't collapse like the other side.

Any ideas on how I can get her udder back to normal as quickly as possible?

2. Twisted Vines Farm

Jun 10, 2011
    The mastitis tests are still good. Neither side is hot or hard.

3. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    Kansas
    The doelings probably have a favorite side. Watch to see if they prefer one side or the other.

4. Twisted Vines Farm

Jun 10, 2011
    yes, I figured as much. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix it.

5. OwnedByTheGoats

OwnedByTheGoats Well, my username says it all... :)

Mar 6, 2013
    Kansas
    You can put teat tape on one side so they don't drink out of it, that way they will be forced to eat from the other side.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I fixed this with my one doe by milking her as often as I could....since you figured out which side was more productive, because of her twins, milk the side they aren't using as much as you can as often as you can.... I managed to even out my girl's udder this way and it worked :)

7. Twisted Vines Farm

Jun 10, 2011
    thanks guys! Right now I have taped off their favorite side and just milk it twice a day, so they nurse from the small side only. Hopefully it'll work, but it sounds like I'm on the right track...:)