doe has milk...but how??

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by dobe627, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Hi all, I have a 3 1/2 year old boer doe that has milk. I noticed she looked like she was " bagging up" but figured it must be her getting fat because theres no way she could be pregnant. Then yesterday she was over by the boys, and obviously in heat when I noticed her one teat was dripping. I couldn't get a real good look but it looked ok so thought I was seeing things. Well today I was able to catch her and squeezed and out came what appeared to be milk. So I grabbed a cup and put some in there. It smells and looks like milk. I didn't taste it but offered it to the cats and they loved it. So it has to be milk. Now how do I know for a fact she isn't pregnant? I have had her since she was 5 months. And only last week did I get 2 pygmy bucks. All the boys here up till last week were 3 pygmy wethers ( 2 are 16 yrs old and 1 10 month old.) What should I do and anyone have any idea how this happened?? Oh and other then this shes fine, no temp eating ok etc. Thanks Cathy

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, I've heard a lot about precocious udders on this forum, hasn't happened to us. . . . yet. :) From what I've heard, it's not a bad thing, just strange.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...precocious udder...pops up for no reason other than to make us nuts! Since you know she's not preggers, it's hormones that are making this happen...some does develope an udder and some don't. You bringing bucks around will make her realize that she is a doe and her body is saying yep, I want that! And you'll notice her heats will be stronger and she will not leave that fenceline til she goes out. Right now I have a doe that was in heat Thursday... went out and is in raging, screaming , flagging heat today....really wants those boys!

She'll be fine....don't milk her and with hold all her grain for a week or so, she'll dry up again. :greengrin:

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks for the answers. I was starting to wonder what was going on. My husband kept joking a buck( deer) must have got in to the pen. Yep she is really in a strong heat. Her and one of the pygmy does just stand at the fence and bawl and RAN for the boys pen when I let them out. Then just stood there teasing them. Poor boys. I am questening finally get a buck though. And I keep telling her( the boer) that the boys are pygmies and not for her. I don't think she cares though. Thanks again. Cathy

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...she won't care....and neither will they if given the chance! Those little boys are very romantic about standing on ANYTHING to bring them to their mark! A step, a bucket a haybale....my little guy took the "high" side of the ditch when he was 4 months old to reach my adult does :ROFL: Of course, they were willing to stand IN the ditch! :slapfloor: