Doe has severe Diarrhea but she wants to eat everything

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hasankhurshid29, Dec 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Active Member

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posting after more than 2 week:
    The doe completely recovered. Started eating again aggressively. Having balls shaped poop. I started giving her rolled wheat. She wants more and more but I was giving her in limited quantity. 5 kg barseen (greenery) and almost 0.5 kg rolled wheat each day.
    But 2 - 3 days after starting grains she started to get clumpy poop which she usually have before the illness even. I ignored it as she was active and eating well. But now clumpy poop turns to a formed sausage type and today its also getting wet and messy but still like a sausage. But she still wants to eat more and more and she is chewing her cuds well. Should I lower the green I am giving her or should I cut off grains? And she will be kidding first time in less than a month so I want to give her grains to strengthen her body but poop is not getting in control.
    @toth boer goats
    @MadHouse

2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I really don’t know what you should do.
    But it does sound like the same behaviour you described earlier.
    Can you have a conversation with the vet and ask advice? You said he told you it was food poisoning, but that wasn’t very specific. What does the vet think caused it?

Hasankhurshid29 likes this.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Not to be butting in here but how do you take a cud from one goat and give to another. This is an easy task??

4. MadHouse

This guy on you tube MAKES it LOOK easy, but I have never tried it, so I am not sure how easy it is.

5. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I'm not wanting to step outa lines but a few weeks ago I had the need to steal cud luckily for me I have 2 little girls that are extremely easy to control. I used a full syringe (w/o needle) with water waited for them to spit up cud grab their mouth so they can't swallow and have a bucket ready and push water into mouth This is way easier and so much safer than putting your fingers in there with the razors!! I did it a few times and It absolutely gave my girl a chance to thrive. Hope you can get her better

MadHouse likes this.
  6. MadHouse

That does sound a lot easier!

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Sorry if you mentioned earlier..I may have missed...but did the vet check for worms? Like a fecal test? Iv heard of worms causing diarrhea.
    Since she started diarrhea again after the grain, I would try to decrease grain and if it doesn't work, maybe cut it out. If she's of healthy weight, shouldn't be too much of a problem...but do keep an eye out for pregnancy toxaemia/ketosis later in pregnancy. Also, iv noticed in my goats that too much wheat causes scours, so I give them more wheat bran(gomer bhushi) than actual wheat. That's more fibrous and less rich.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I looked up barseem and it seems that its a clover forage and similar to alfafa....if she's of good weight she may do well with just the barseem for now and small bits of grain

MadHouse likes this.
  9. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It sounds very much like the wheat is affecting her digestion. This isn't horrible though. If you agree that she needs the carbohydrates and phosphorus she can be given boiled wheat, peas, beans, brown rice, barley. Cooking the grains will solve the issue.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.