The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my does has almost dried up. She kidded as a first freshener in April at 11 months of age. She has not had any big problems with worms this year, although we did give her iron and B12 (sub-Q) about a week ago.She normally gives around a quart or so of milk. She has not been lethargic or anemic and she has always been rather greedy:). Saturday morning she would not eat, Saturday evening she would not eat and gave only about a cup or 2 of milk. This morning she looked like she had just been milked out but her appetite was back and she seemed very energetic and ready to be eat. Should I get a fecal float done? We are going to worm her this evening so we will see if that helps.

·
14,615 Posts
Never hurts to do fecal float.
You can give her a B shot, see if that helps with appetite. But it sounds like she just had a couple of off days.
Is she drinking enough?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
its would be good to have a fecal done just to rule that out...why was she on iron and vit b 12?
When she wasnt feeling well, skipping meals she may have had an upset rumen that she recovered from..now she is ready to eat again,but her milk production would have suffered...some recover that production while others wont, age, blood line and time in milk has a lot to do with that she is on month five in lactation so she could recover.....if all is well with her, eating drinking, peeing, pooping berries, chewing a cud, bright eye and alert..try upping her grain a little at a time...messageing the udder and putting her on the table mid day for a lunch and more messaging and milking... if you whip coconut oil ina mixer add vit E and peppermint Ess. oil it wil help with messaging and encourage milk to come down...if after a weekor so of this she no longer produces milk then sheis dry for the season...best wishes

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I had a kinder doe that ate too many apples just last Saturday, she was better by Tuesday, but her milk decreased from 16oz to 8oz and I thought that she was just going to dry up on me... I continued to milk, increase her grain to what it was before slowly. I milked 12 oz's this morning:) Sometimes these girls will surprise us.. Fecal is a good thing to do though:)

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. She was in heat Friday. She is now scouring so I wonder if it is coccidia. Also, does coccidia cause anemia? I am going to get a fecal float done and see if she has worms. Cathy, I will also try the coconut oil with essential oils since we have that on hand. We do have a kid with the does but she was separated at birth and has never been a problem. Her appetite is back now and she seems to be drinking enough. her membranes had been just a little pale and that is why she was on iron and vit B12. She is now a bright salmon color now so we did not suspect worms.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
A fecal would be a very good idea to see what you are dealing with..I would gather berries from each in question seperate ...you can also have a group fecal done for everyone else to see where the herd is in a whole...then treat accordingly...I personally prefer Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally, not for bred Does) or Ivomec plus.(1 cc per 40# sub Q).reason is it kills liver fluke where others do no...Barpole eggs and Lf eggs looks very simular and often are mistaken for eachother...if your fecal says barpole then treating for both is wise...I would also be sure to ask for a cocci fecal as well...
Yes, Cocci can cause anemia...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts