Doe has very flakey skin and small clumps of fur falling off her head?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rascal66, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Hello!

I'm fairly new to owning goats, have had them for about a year and a few months now. So, my little one who is a Kiko, she appears to have a lot of flakey skin and has small patches of fur specifically coming off her head, not really anywhere else... I'm not sure what to think of it.
    20190206_162625.jpg 20190206_162346.jpg 20190206_161950.jpg 20190206_162037.jpg

So I have tried to do some research and I'm stumped. I have tried very hard to look for little bugs but I don't seem to really 'see' any... Could it just be the winter? Dandruff? I'm in the Northwestern coast and i have noticed that because of the changing of season, my girls are beginning to shed lightly. But for her, she is losing little clumps right behind her horns.

As far as mineral intake goes, I offer loose mineral but currently don't have it set up out there full time yet, so they get some at least every other day usually.

My goats are on my pasture and they really just graze off the grass and eat the hay we offer. They get occasional treats, but I just noticed this on her last week.

Last detail I could offer is that she is about a year old and was exposed to a buck in Oct/Nov so I suspect her to be pregnant...

She is the only one who seems to have this going on for her.. I'm still fairly new to keeping goats, but Any advice, pointers or tips would be great!

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    My first guess would be mites. You won't be able to see them with the naked eye.

Treat with INJECTABLE ivermectin. Injected subcutaneously.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I really think it is one of 2 problems, and the problems are VERY often linked, so it could be both.
    Mites, and Minerals. I'd put Ivomec pour on on her (and dribble/rub some on her head esp. around her horn area. And I'd stop restricting her minerals. Why are you doing that, exactly? Because if we know why, we can help come up with solutions.

Zinc is a particular problem to be shorted on. What mineral mix are you doling out to them? Is it low in zinc?

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. mariarose

Saltey is right about the injectable. That also works on mites. But don't give the injectable orally. That works on a lot of parasites, but not the skin parasites. I just prefer the Pour-On form to the Injectable for surface parasites. You know, personal d'ruthers kind of thing.

But I'm serious about the minerals. What are you giving, and why not all the time?

5. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    I was worried about mites. Where can I find this? Also should I worry about my other goats too and treat them?

6. mariarose

Find what, specifically? Minerals? Ivermectin Injectable? Ivermectin Pour-On? General Info?
    That depends on what is wrong, what minerals you have available, and how strong the immune system is?
    If it is minerals, yes. What minerals are you offering? If it is mites, It depends. What signs in them are you seeing?

7. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    I do not want to restrict the mineral, it was just very rainy the past few weeks and I figured I could put it in under the overhang shelter we have but they almost never use it or go there, oddly enough? I wish I could get them to sleep there too.. The field they are on is a longer stretch, They have an area they love to hang out around and I'd leave it there but I'm worried the moisture would mess up the contents? So I try to feed them some as often as I can. Guess seeing them eat it also gives me some peace of mind? Definitely not a permanent thing though... And I am using the manna pro goat mineral

8. mariarose

Thank you. That expounds on so much! We are grateful, seriously. I'll be back. Have to go check on someone.

9. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Looking for the ivermectin? When you say injectable, you mean with needles , right? I have never injected anything on them before.

I am going to take another peek at my other girls to double check and come back to this

10. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    I would also dust their area with powder.

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Be more specific. Baby powder?

12. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    No..it's actually an insecticide..for poultry that on the label says it kills keds..we dusted clyde..bonnie their pens and the chickens no issue since..we got it at the tractor supply I'll see if I can find a linky

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ivomec injected yes, 1 cc per 40 lbs SQ.

You can use eprinex pour on as well.
    If not preggo.

Nustock can be used on the scabby area's.

14. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Is the Ivomec safe for pregnant does still?

15. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Ivomec IS safe for pregnant does. Ivomec Plus is NOT safe for pregnant does.

mariarose likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Any dewormer is not safe in the first trimester of pregnancy. But if she is past say 3 months along, it is safe to give.
    But not the plus.

mariarose likes this.