The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Skip to end for real question)
Im new to breeding my own does. Long story short lol, i usually get my does when they are already pregnant, or raise orphaned kids by bottle mostly until they are a year or so old and send them back until they are bred. I know kinda confusing....
Anyway, could you share some ways to tell if a doe is in heat? I know some like they wag their tails alot and "flirt with the buck but are their any other ways? Thanks. :D

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I think I've caught my doe in heat once....I read somewhere that there can be discharge? I saw that once... I can't tell what's normal flagging & pacing vs. when they do it in heat....

·
14,615 Posts
You're welcome!
The best way for me anyway is to let em get a whiff of the buck. I dont always wait for them to come in. August is what we shoot for that's when I bring a couple at a time to the buck pen & leave them for a week or two. So long as they're comfortable; not running from him or trying to find a way out.
Take them out & bring a couple 2 or 3 more.
If anyone does come back into heat she usually stands in the corner of the doe pen nearest the buck who she knows is over yonder somewhere but not in sight.
That's when I bring her back to him. Only a couple of times has anyone come back in after being with him.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
sorry Bonfire for hijacking a little - what if you don't have a buck? will a buck rag last a while? or do you need to re-rub every once in a while?

·
14,615 Posts
Nchen you sure can try a buck rag, so long as it's sealed in a baggie or something, the aroma shouldnt fade anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts